Anyone doing a Le Mans build? (Updated with photos)

Are any of you folks doing a 24 Hours of Le Mans build this year? I'm set with a Revell Corvette C6R. Should be a blast....I'll fix what I can, but the build will be pretty much OOB. Since it appears that the days of the Corvettes ruling GT1 will end this weekend, this should be a good sendoff. They'll have their work cut out for them competing in GT2....

I built Revell's Sauber C9 last year and had fun. While actual time on the model was about 20 hours, I didn't get it done before the race ended--it got finished Monday afternoon. This year I'm trying to have the model complete by the time the Tricolore flies at the end of the race. If I am able, I'll post updates as I go....

Ralph

Good luck with your Le Mans build Ralph!! I hope to get a chance to see some of it, but have to install a new fence, or the wife will kill me!! I've been putting it off long enough, and if I told her I had to watch the race, and build a model at the same time, it might send her over the edge!! (Wouldn't be the first time!!)

Speaking of the Revell CR-6, have you seen the Scale Motorsports upgrade kit? I picked one up last week, and it's very cool. You get the Revell kit, plus carbon fiber decals, turned aluminum wheels and other parts, and a nice P/E set for it. I got it for $90.00, and is worth it, if only for the wheels!!

I guess the Corvette guys are tired of competing against themselves in GT1. It should be interesting to see them take on the GT2 guys!!

Ham

So how did yours turn out? When I read your post last week I got all excited about joining in then realized Lemans was a day away. I didn't have a kit or the time blocked off from other stuff. If I had a bit more time to prepare I'd have thrown down plastic with you. Hope you had fun & some pic to share.

So how did yours turn out? When I read your post last week I got all excited about joining in then realized Lemans was a day away. I didn't have a kit or the time blocked off from other stuff. If I had a bit more time to prepare I'd have thrown down plastic with you. Hope you had fun & some pic to share.

I did get the car finished about two seconds before the race ended. I still have to do some fabrication of parts that the kit didn't give you, but the parts that Revell supplied were assembled into a model. The kit best represents the show car that Pratt and Miller/GM used as a promo rather than a true race article, so it lacks a lot of the race-specific stuff--no windows in the doors, the diffuser isn't correct, etc. Add to that the fact that Revell totally missed or misrepresented some stuff, too (rear side marker lights--the front marker lights are there, though--the NASCAR-style window net, and a few decal omissions), and it makes for a nice, but not race-spec model.

I'll have photos shortly. I didn't get any in-progrss shots (if I tried to do that, I wouldn't have finished in time), but I'll post pics of the completed model.

If you wanted to do a race-ready model, you'd have to either make the changes yourself or go with the Scale Motorsport transkit as Doug suggests.

This is the second year I've attempted a 24-hour build, and both times were a lot of fun. If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl next year--Daytona's Rolex 24 is in January and Le Mans is in June, so you have two opportunities, unless you go to watch one or both races in person. We've done Daytona for a few years, and one of these days, we will make the Le Mans 24 Hours....

Ralph

I've wanted greatly to participate in this event since I found out about it. Next time for sure I will be in on it. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and will have a purpose-built modeling room to participate with paint booth and everything!

• 2 weeks later...

Photos, as promised. After I finished mine, my wife decided to build a Corvette of her own with mods to make it closer to the race article than the show car. I built the #63 OOB, she built the #64. Both depict cars raced at the 2005 running to the 24 Heures Du Mans....

63-c6r.jpg

63-c6r-2.jpg

A rear shot showing some of the differences. The big mod was the diffuser and side windows. I will add the side windows and the small paint details (side marker lights, position lights, and fuel receptacle) sometime in the next week or so. I don't know whether I'll fix the diffuser, though....

c6r-rear.jpg

Underside shot of diffuser as the kit portrays it:

c6r-unmodified.jpg

Modified to look something like the actual deal:

c6r-modified.jpg

The wife's model:

64-c6r.jpg

Both models were painted with Tamiya's rattle can Chrome Yellow--it is a close match for the Velocity Yellow that Pratt and Miller used. If you live near a GM dealership with a friendly parts department, you might be able to get a can of the actual color. It goes by many names (Millennium Yellow, Slingshot Yellow, Sunburst Yellow), but the paint code is 79/423G and the part number is 12378082. It may be easier to obtain a Romanian baby on the black market, though--when my wife tried to get a can, she had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it--they wanted a VIN, which she didn't have (at least not for a yellow 'Vette). A service tech knew what she wanted (he refinished die-casts), and knew what she wanted. The Tamiya paint goes on like a dream staright from the can, and 99.999% of the people who see the model won't know the difference.

Ralph