EDUARD comments on 109E in 1/32

Guest Bun E. Carlos

Guest Bun E. Carlos

NEWS IN JUNE 2009

The canopy for our Bf109E-4 is, in fact, narrower than it should be. Since our E-4 canopy was an extension of the E-3, I would say that we erroneously chose the point at which the corner of the newer canopy is located. Unfortunately, we located said point at the halfway mark of the radius of the E-3 segment that forms the top of the canopy, rather than locating it in the extended sides of the canopy walls. This mistake unfortunately slipped through QC, which is, to an extent, the result of using the E-3 as the basis from which to develop the E-4. So, we will fix the canopy problem, but it will be in the future releases of the E-4 and the E-7, and likewise for the Bf109F-2 and F-4 that are currently under development. Of course, the correction will also be implemented on the 1/48th scale Bf109E that we are preparing for next year.

Nice to see them admit the mistake. Too bad in their May Newsletter they threw a hissy fit when they were initially challenged on the problem. Also leaves the question of whether or not they will supply replacements on the kits already bought.

BTW, you said Dragon. You meant Eduard.

I just figure that all of the 109-aholics who've slit their wrists over this leave all the more room for the rest of us "normal" WWII and "occasional" Luftwaffe modelers :lol: (sorry Lynn!).

It does amaze me when a model company goofs on such a well known subject. First off, there's NO shortage of research material available to get it right. Second, they ought to know that they WILL get called for it! There's just too many knowledgable 109 builders out there! I won't be impressed unless they offer replacement canopies for the entire first run!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil:

Important point to remember with almost every model company- NONE of them are modelers or historians- it is their living. There are a few exceptions (the original Accurate Miniatures come to mind)

I saw the hissy fit and still can't see the mistake but I admit I really am not a 109 fan in the least. Floyd Werner is building our review sample and I am sure he will mention it. Doesn't look like there is a easy fix though

Dave

I'm glad that they decided to put this out. With some luck there will be a new stock number or better yet; a large sticker on the kits with the corrected canopy so I can tell the difference when/if I get around to buying one. Something like "now with new canopy" would be good for me... :D

Kits got more issues than the E-4 canopy..see Lynns review thread on it.

I've slowly been fighting my E-1 into shape and I'll wait and see what the Trumpeter Emil looks like that scale before I get anymore Eduard versions.

Eduard honked me off with that statement, I used to buy their kits sight unseen....now I wait and see how bad it is 1st

Gil:

Important point to remember with almost every model company- NONE of them are modelers or historians- it is their living. There are a few exceptions (the original Accurate Miniatures come to mind)

I saw the hissy fit and still can't see the mistake but I admit I really am not a 109 fan in the least. Floyd Werner is building our review sample and I am sure he will mention it. Doesn't look like there is a easy fix though

Dave

However, when said model company is given information from people who know better, it is hard to see how they could have missed this. KMC did the same thing with their 1/72 B-727-200--I personally know several airliner modelers, airliner aficionados, and 727 technicians/mechanics who gave KMC everything they had on the airplane, yet KMC missed the mark by quite a bit. Why? They didn't listen to people who were intimately familiar with the 727. You can only provide so much information--it is up to the design team to pay attention to it.

As to the Eduard kit canopy...

The easy fix, Part 1: Use a Squadron vac canopy.

The easy fix, Part 2: Wait for the later Eduard release.

Or hope that Eduard will offer correct canopies to those people who got the incorrect parts.

The other glitches, while unfortunate, aren't as egregious as the canopy. There are resin wheels available, the fuel filler and other erroneous panel lines are easily filled and re-scribed, and the cockpit detailing can be dealt with by either old-fashioned modeling or purchasing a cockpit set--you just KNOW there will be a replacement cockpit available soon...

Should you have to do this on a modern kit that retails for upwards of $65-$70? No, but it isn't like Eduard gives you a pine log and tells you to cut away everything that doesn't look like a 109, either. A friend of mine pointed out the universal praise Eduard got for their WWI series, but that those kits also had flaws. The difference between the 109 and their WWI subjects is that the WWI crowd is happy to get a kit--any kit--of thier chosen subjects, and they can take what Eduard gives them and improve upon it. With the 109, you have perhaps one of the most (if not THE most) popular modeling subjects with a following of a great many people who have a near-encyclopedic familiarity with the airplane. When you goof on a Roland C.1, the people who notice are few and far between. When you goof on a 109 (or, as DML found out, a P-51...or a Phantom, or an F-16), don't be surprised when you get called on your goof.

Frankly, the problems with Eduard's 109E-4 (save the canopy) weren't worth the blood-letting on the other forums. The pattern has become predictable--new kit comes out, the subject matter experts point out some issues (to whom I personally am thankful--tell me what's good and what's not and let me decide what to do), then the death by 1,000 pin pricks start. The serious aficionados call the kit crap, the casual builders tell everyone just to be happy that the kit is available, the doom-and gloomers say that if you badmouth the kit then the company will go out of business....

In this case, Eduard added napalm to the fire in their newsletter by calling the HyperScale forum dwellers out, saying that they had no clue and that Eduard got the canopy correct. They issued the correction Jack posted over the weekend, which is basically Eduard telling everyone how medium-rare crow tastes.

Ralph, off to do some mental prep work for my 24 Hours of Le Mans build of a Revell Corvette C6R

I can't understand the fanaticism over the Nazi subjects. Manufacturers in the end always seem to bend over backwards to appease this group regardless of how minor the offence. I only wish modelers could show the same type of enthusiasm for the P-51 Mustang arguable the greatest fighter of WW2... I don't get it. Example- the crowd on the dyperscale forum tossing their lollipops in the dirt to get attention seems to work... I guess. But these same people will toss you under the bus for busting Dragon chops on their POS Mustang(no amount of aftermarket or scratch building can save that debauchery)... Amazing :smiley18: . In the end I will buy the Eduard 109 and big flipping deal I'll may even spend the extra 2 dollars for the the squadron replacement canopy... whoopie :smiley20: . To the folks at EDUARD- Mustangs Please we will not complain or cry if it is half as nice as your 109.

...and a relatively inexpensive, relatively accurate 1/32 Spitfire series (The best fighter of WWII) wouldn't go amiss either!

Well, if you just count the Mk9 I'd go with the Spitfire.... but the real winner is the Brewster Buffalo! :D :lol:

A similar series of Grummans would be nice, too. I got a feeling Eduard will eventually scale up their F6F to 1/32.