AMT 1966 Nova SS 396

This is the excellent AMT kit of the 66 Nova that can be built up one of three ways.... as Grumpy's Toy drag car, or a street custom, or just factory stock. I chose the street custom route and modified the engine slightly by using a P/E air cleaner from Parts by Parks. I also wired it up and added fuel and electrical lines. The paint is rattle-can Tamiya Metallic Red over a base coat of Silver Leaf. The interior is Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black, the carpet is flocking from Detail Master. The fantastic tires are pad printed tires from the AMT 68 Camaro kit (which came w/ 2 sets of tires!).

I'd love to have one of these bad boys in real life!

post-3017-0-97693900-1462659849_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-28065000-1462659869_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-77433900-1462659885_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-12007100-1462659914_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-35329600-1462659940_thumb.jpg

That engine compartment looks superb Bob! I really like that billet aluminum air cleaner!

• Like 1

Hey thanks Joe - The air cleaner is made by Parts by Parks, but I bought it from Model Roundup - those guys are very friendly to buy from!

You did an outstanding job on this Nova Bob. It sure hits the mark of the type of street cars that ran( cruze'd) the streets when I was in High School.

Thank you Gary. Those small bodied-big engine cars of those years really appeal to me... I've got a few Mustangs "in the oven" right now.

Hi, Bob,

This certainly looks like beautiful work to me. Congratulations on a great model of a 50-year-old car that wasn't so great then but is so wanted today.

Ed

Thank you, Ed. You know, the same could be said for many cars of the 60's, including those old Ferraris. They were hot, loud, and really didn't handle very well - not by today's standards.

At least back then, not every car looked like an electric razor -- the autos from the sixties had style!

I got a steering column from Parts by Parks for my '56 Ford F-100 build and was very happy with it. I've also dealt with Model Round up and you're right about their service. It's great!

• 1 month later...

Joe, that Nova is smokin'' hot. I did mine in Testors Yellow, but had a problem as when I put the wheels on, the pins were so fine that the darn things broke. Still loved that model.

Dave

Yeah Dave - I had to shore up the wheel connections a bit, but I don't mind, since AMT went to the trouble of giving us poseable wheels --- which I really like.

I got a steering column from Parts by Parks for my '56 Ford F-100 build and was very happy with it. I've also dealt with Model Round up and you're right about their service. It's great!

Parts by Parks have good Turned Aluminum parts. I've used the air cleaners quite a bit. Jack at Model Roundup is great to work with. I get the PPP tires and wheels from him.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice Work!

But we used to own a 4-door 63 Nova. That conversion is well outside my level of talent. Has there ever been a kit of a 4-door 63 Nova?

Hey Mike - I've never seen one. Seems like JoHan made some 4-door kits, but I'm not sure if Nova was one of them. There's probably a database somewhere of all kits manufactured --