Bell Aircraft X-5, Revell 1/40th Kit

stevee671

This kit, among others has been on the shelf of doom. I decided that it's time to finish it while I'm working on other projects at the same time. This kit is fighting me at every turn! It's almost like it doesn't want to be built.

IMG_3782_zpsrrffhchp.jpg

It's built out of the box. The only extras are a decent pilot figure out of the Monogram F-100 kit and a reworked instrumentation boom at the nose.

IMG_3784_zpsbls2tr6j.jpg

Closing the gear doors proved challenging at they weren't the best fit. They were close, but not exact. The wing were glued in place. I didn't want them full forward, but not full aft either, so I settled at about 20 degrees.

IMG_3787_zpsueg75uew.jpg

The most glaring error with this kit is the front windscreen. It isn't even close to the actual aircraft. The aircraft had a more sloping windscreen and the kit is more bubble shaped.

One nice thing about this kit is that it has recessed panel lines!

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Steve, I've done a number of models that; like this one, seem to not want to be built so I feel your pain. I'm glad to see you are still in the fight and not letting this beastie win. It is a good looking little craft and you've done an outstanding job in getting it together. Way to go! Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Nice going, Steve! These kits remind me of the 1950's when, like some of my other contemporaries, loved to buy and build Revell, Aurora, Lindbergh Line, and Hawk kits just to name a few.

Mark

A little more progress...still fighting me a little bit. I discovered Mr. Surfacer 500!

Cockpit painted, Pilot Painted, aft area of cockpit painted. Mr. Surfacer here and there.

I'm pretty proud of that pilot!

IMG_3790_zpsjugqjr8h.jpg