Revell 1/48 F-89 Scorpion

WildBill50

Good day all,

Since I started building some of the older kits in my collection lately, Revell, Monogram stuff and such I've been having some real fun. Which brings me to the next thing on a long list of things to build. I have started on the 1/48 Revell F-89D/H kit and got caught up looking for what color the wheel wells are painted. I have not been able to find a shot looking into the main gear bays. The Detail and Scale and Squadron books don't show it either. There was picture that looked like the nose gear bay was maybe a chromate or olive or even gray color but it is black and white. The doors look like they are natural metal but the bays themselves I can't be sure. Anyone have that secret locked away so I can continue on this journey?

The kit is really nice so far even with horror of horrors, raised panel lines. I put a lot of weight in the nose so I won't be stung with a tail dragger. The interior is workable and the detail a mixed bag. This is a large aircraft. Pictures to follow.

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by WildBill50

Going on memory here, from the time I inspected the F-89 at the USAF Museum in Dayton.....but I believe the wells themselves are all interior green (not chromate green); while the gear door interiors are all natural metal. This was fairly common for the 1950s, and was also true for NMF F-102s, F-86Ds, and F-84Fs.

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

After having my question answered I started on this model, the Revell F-89. Here are some pictures of the plane as it going together. I have been having a great time building these older Revell and Monogram kits lately. They go together well, the shapes are right and the detail is fantastic. The kits do not take millions of man hours to get a decent looking replica either. If you have modelers block or AMS on your current build, pull one of these off the shelf and build one OOB. JUST FOR FUN!

Here are some in progress shots. More to follow soon. All comments welcome.

Bill

F-89%20Scorpion%20002_zpsgnjnmluc.jpg

I added belts and buckles to the seats. The seats are pretty good replicas of the actual ones. I drilled out the holes on the rear foot rest. I used clear parts cement on the dials to give them the "glass" look.

F-89%20Scorpion%20009_zpsikkqg2cb.jpgF-89%20Scorpion%20008_zpstlor3gem.jpg

You get different panels for either choice of model. These are the "J" panels as that is what I am going to build. I added wiring to the back of the rear panel.

F-89%20Scorpion%20004_zps9enjgbha.jpg

you can make the "D" or "J" model and the relevant armament is in the box. Fuel/rocket pod tip tanks, fuel pod tip tanks, Falcon and Genie missiles complete your choice of weaponry.

F-89%20Scorpion%20003_zpsnxl0kt2l.jpg

I put a lot of weight in the nose so it will sit on its landing gear. It did not need a lot of puttying, just in a few spots like the radome fuselage area the most. This might have been self inflicted.

F-89%20Scorpion%20006_zpscoawutmd.jpg

This is a large aircraft. The wings and such are just slid in for size comparison sake. F-89%20Scorpion%20007_zpsmvo0vtou.jpg

• Like 2

The cockpit is relatively small for the size of the plane. I am pretty happy on how it turned out.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Bill

• 2 months later...

It's been too long. A small update. The red is painted and I have started the BMF. So far so good.

Questions, comments, funny stories all welcome.

Bill

F-89%20Scorpion%20013_zps2rnzkumm.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20010_zpstlosuxpi.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20011_zpsxxrmg3rx.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20012_zpssu0hf13q.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion_zpsislossc5.jpg

I really like Bare Metal Foil.It has that sheen that is still different than any Alclad or metalizer paint.

Bill

Edited by WildBill50
  • Like 1

I admire anyone with the patience and steady hand to burnish foil. That is going to look killer!

Oddly (though not really funny), I built a 1/48 Scorpion using the Falcon vacuform kit back in the 80's, and it was an "ok" model. The irony is I've never built that nice Monogram injected kit, though I've had it in the stash for decades..... :smiley29:

Here's a pic of the old vac F-89J

F-89J%20Scorpion.jpg

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 2

Man I'm really shocked at the level of detail for a Revell kit Bill. That BMF job is looking killer!!!

Gil,

Great job on that Vac. Love the paint scheme. I am not much of a fan of the Revell kit decals...but.

If you do decide to build this kit it goes together very well with just a few nits to pick on it.

Joe, thanks for the kind words. I really like BMF; it really jumps at you when its done.

I need to get this thing done so I can continue on with other unfinished business.

Thanks again guys,

Bill

• 1 month later...

A quick update...Finished foiling this thing today. I'm really happy how it came out. Now for a clear coat, decals and the the small stuff.

F-89%20Scorpion%20016_zps3qqmi1hn.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20017_zps1iyuz09p.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20018_zpsyou6myk0.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20019_zpsjnml6dah.jpg

All comments welcome.

Bill

Bill,

Wow!!!! The overall finish on the Scorpion is looking great. You should be proud of the way it's turning out. I built one of these when I was 16 yrs. old,

which don't seem like it but was 24 years ago. I fell in love with the F-89 and you have put me in the mood to get the one out of my stash and put it in pile

to be built. Never tried BMF but I might now. Keep up the good work!!!!

I have to echo those kudos! That's one of the smoothest, sharpest looking foil jobs I've seen. It's amazing how well those surface details just pop under that finish. This is going to turn a lot of heads!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments, good or bad as they may be.

I'm trying to get it done by Friday for my club meeting. Hopefully finished pics by then.

Bill

DONE! I am quite pleased how this kit came out. It is a perfect canvas for a Bare Metal Foil scheme.

Here it is in all its burnished glory. Comments always welcome.

F-89%20Scorpion%20029_zps1plfa5sq.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20030_zpsxydp1aze.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20031_zpsowqvmqe3.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20033_zpsixlkxu6k.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20034_zpstm5jzloc.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20035_zpsdrm3naws.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20038_zpszct0s3zp.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20040_zpsunbfj0bs.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20043_zpsrijsezww.jpg

F-89%20Scorpion%20044_zpsifro9xwx.jpg

A few of the upper images were before weathering the rocket pods and cleaning up the white pod markings. I like the cotrast of the gloss red wing with the flat red pod.

Again, thanks for looking.

Bill

• Like 2

I had the great fortune to see this F-89D Scorpion in person last night at our monthly Chapter meeting. And I got to photograph it also for the next issue of The Assembler. Bill has outstanding skills with Bare Metal Foil on his aircraft models; his earlier F-104 will drop your jaw. Four months to build this? Fantastic!

Ed

Thanks everybody. This was one of those kits that didn't fight back. It was just a nice exercise in building and finishing. I got to try out a few new things for getting it together and dusted off some old ones to get it finished.

All in all it was a fun build and I'm glad it's on the shelf.

Bill

Whoa, awesome job with the BMF! Excellent build all round. It's sure to be the center piece until you have your next one finished. :smiley2:

• 4 weeks later...