The Duke's 1/72 Scale Be-6 Madge

Mark Deliduka

Finally, after all this time, I can show this very large model completed. This is the Russian Be-6 Madge seaplane in 1/72 scale by Trumpeter:

Russian_Be_6_Madge_I.jpg

Russian_Be_6_Madge_II.jpg

You can see here I gave her a full weapons loadout:

Russian_Be_6_Madge_IV.jpg

Final overhead shot:

Russian_Be_6_Madge_III.jpg

That's my first of four very large subjects completed. Hopefully the others won't be too far behind.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 2

Hi, Mark,

I must admit I have never see this Trumpeter kit on a shelf in any store, so I was not aware it even existed. I've followed your build photos as you moved this kit down your production line. I think you are fearless in the world of modeling. You will build models of subjects that many of us would be scared silly to even attempt. Great job on the Madge!

Ed

Thanks guys for the awesome replies! I truly appreciate it!

Gil, don't mind if I do! A project like this does deserve a toast.

Clare, thanks! I am very happy with this one. I appreciate you posting here.

Ed, thanks! This has been out for awhile, but I could never afford to get one. My friend Steve Witherspoon won it for me in the raffle at the IPMS Nationals in Columbus. I am humbled by your compliments on my fearlessness. I am however, still afraid of vac form and resin models. Resin models mostly because I invariably glue something out of position and then end up burying the Exacto blade to the hilt in one of my fingers during my attempts to separate the parts and re-glue them in the proper position. I guess part of the reason I build these unique models when I can get them is because I've already built everything else out there in my scale.... mostly.

Thanks Bill! This was the first time a large sized airplane model turned out as good as I was trying to make it. I am thrilled with this one!

Chuck, thanks! That is high praise indeed!

Duke - great job on what I know was a very tough project for you! I hope you bring it down to the Model Expo at Gellispie field in June. One question regarding the real aircraft, it looks like it resembles this strange American Navy Aircraft? Did those crazy Russkie's copy everything we designed? Dan

post-136-0-40777900-1461443303_thumb.jpg

Thanks Danny!

It was a pretty tough project, but a fun one nonetheless. I'm trying to nail down a ride, but yes; this is one model I plan on bringing down to the Expo in June. I also plan on bringing my Saturn V Rocket and possibly my 1/72 scale Space Shuttle with Boosters if I can complete it in time.

And yes, back then, I believe the Soviets copied nearly everything we did since our technology was well ahead of theirs for awhile. Then again, a case can be argued that a big bird like this on the water would need a fat fuselage and gull wings to be able to fly without too much water getting into the engines.

Thanks again for the great reply! See you in June!