Ohio George Malco Gasser

This is the reissue of the old AMT kit, re-packaged this time with a beautiful photo reference booklet, pad-printed drag slicks, and a re-engineered decal sheet.
To replicate George's car, I used Krylon Baby Blue spray lacquer with a Tamiya clearcoat finish. The beastly 427 engine chrome valve covers were given a fine spray of Tamiya Light Gunmetal, then sanded at the lower flanges and painted a combo of red primer and hull red to give a look of new gaskets. Tires were sanded and wheels were given a light flat black wash to punch the details. Wheelie bar mechanism was a nightmare to assemble and I had to break out the ol' 2-part JB Quick Weld to get the assembly to see things my way---after the weld dried, it was painted with gloss aluminum. The drag chute cable was made from braided line from Detail Master. The seatbelts were molded into the drivers seat--I painted those with Tamiya acrylic Khaki Drab, then painted a piece of masking tape the same color so I could later cover the molded-in belts, plus continue the seatbelts to their mounting points on the floor.

AMT included a very neat photo book in this kit that includes pictures of the real car at the model factory's offices as it had been striped with tape so that the engineers could take their measurements to make the molds for a scale model kit. HOW COOL IS THAT? ...this is how they did it before CADCAM digital programs!

AMT has done a fantastic job of resurrecting their historic moulds and bringing some old kits back to market for a whole new generation of modelers -- and even better this time >> not only have they gone back to their original box art, they also include some real tasty goodies in most of these kits. They've brought the fun back to modeling... AWESOME work AMT! This is the reissue of the ancient AMT kit, re-packaged this time with a beautiful photo reference booklet, pad-printed drag slicks, and a re-engineered decal sheet.

post-3017-0-43008800-1459265955_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-36059900-1459265990_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-77500100-1459266014_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-86329600-1459266032_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I built this one as a kid and had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately it didn't survive the test of time. I dunno where it went to.

I like the job you did on this one here though!! Great work!

I agree Joseph, it's a blast to build an old kit you did before as a kid and again now as an adult, but with your adult skills and better supplies

• Like 1