Spray Painting in North Carolina

The disadvantage of spray-painting in North Carolina is being at the mercy of the weather - it recently got warm enough to paint, and I got a few body shells done, but with so many Pine and Oak trees, I now have to wait for pollen season to wrap up. Next on the agenda is a Revell 70 Chevelle SS 454, a Polar Lights Hawaiian Charger funny car, an MPC Donnie Allison stock car, an AMT 55 Nomad, and an AMT 62 Corvette gasser. BIG PLANS I SAY......BIG PLANS!

For the Nomad wagon, I used Tamiya's new Orange Metallic with a Gunmetal roof. Everything in between will be all chromed out. I plan to morph this ride into a sweet custom surf wagon with some sick wheels and fat whitewall rubber and a slightly lower ride, but a couple of details were holding me up >>>NO surfboards or camping supplies...so I broke out the DAS air-dry clay I got from Askew-Taylor in Raleigh, broke off a few lumps, warmed it in my hands, laid it out and hit it with my steel pipe like I was making biscuits. I cut out several boards and fins and curved them a little to dry like that. Had to make them larger and thicker, since I knew I was gonna have some carving & sanding to do later to make them convincing. (I started out using sheet balsa for the boards which worked OK, but too thin for 1/25 scale).

So far I have 1 clay board smoothed & sanded, and 1 Boogie Board completed. The boogie board was painted gloss light blue, ankle strap attached, and random areas touched with clear acrylic and dusted with baby powder for remnants of a day at the beach....plus it smells good too smiley.gif
Also finished some beach towels & a firewood bundle. To be continued.............

post-3017-0-34666800-1459116161_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-47367000-1459116179_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-44602600-1459116192_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-90731000-1459116200_thumb.jpg

Edited by 62Parts

Man, that Nomad is sweet looking!! Awesome color combo. Love the Hawaiian too;there's just something about that color blue and white. I commend you for getting your white so perfect, even with all the pollen and weather issues. I still struggle to get a decent white color on my models! Surf and boogie boards look fantastic!

Looking forward to seeing more.

hey Mark - the white portion of the Hawaiian funny car body is the first layer of decals from Slixx.

For the Nomad, I've got a set of Kelsey-Hayes wheels I robbed from a Mobeius Chrysler kit, and I'm gonna be using a set of fat whitewalls from AMT.

Planning the roof-rack build at the present time - I'm thinking of using Evergreen styrene rod for the basket portion of the rack. I can picture the beach blankets and firewood up there on top.

Hey David - Honestly, layering styrene never once occurred to me - why didn't you mention that to me last Friday? :) :)

Yeah, I have big plans for the Nomad wagon -- I think all the kit chrome and Bare Metal Foil I'll be adding will really punch those paint colors up a notch. Also planning a striped 3-tone interior of gunmetal, orange and racing white for the upholstery with a Tamiya Pearl Clear coat over all of it.

Here's another surf custom "in the oven" right now - this one is a 57 Ford Del Rio ranch wagon that Monogram boxed as a stock wagon or a police car, both of which kind of puts me to sleep. So I've started the 2-tone paint of Testors one-shot lacquer Root Beer Metallic and Tamiya Pure White, with plenty of chrome to be added in between, gonna add some fat white rubber from AMT, and maybe either some Cragars or some reverse chrome rims -- sit it lower to the ground, open up the back hatch, and add some goodies indoors...thinking about a roof rack for this one too.

That's my buddy Junior in the picture. He likes to help. He's giving me "the look" because I've gone 15 minutes past his feeding time.

post-3017-0-94964700-1459207713_thumb.jpg

post-3017-0-47360700-1459207732_thumb.jpg

Edited by 62Parts

Thanks Joseph, that root beer paint color is real sweet after it's polished up. If the vision in my head is right, she'll make a cool custom ride with some mag wheels and wide white walls.

BTW, the Testors One Coat lacquer is some really good paint - better than the Model Master Auto Color lacquer in my opinion since this is a one-step paint...and it wet-sands nicely with Micro Mesh abrasives and polishes up beautifully with Novus #2 polishing compound, much like Tamiya paint.

Edited by 62Parts