Hello from Kalifornia

youngtiger1

Hello All,

Just joined this site but been a imps member for a while and had opportunities to attend imps shows for couple off years. It's great bunch of folks and a community. I'm a fan of big kits and it dosen't matter the scale. As long as it's big...I'm interested. Where do I put the finish product...Owwww...ouch, to much...it gives me a headache, so don't ask :lol: I cross that bridge when I get there ;)

As a pilot, my main interest is in aviation but I have all sorts of stuff...even figures, and I don't even know the "how to" about painting them without making them look like a toy. So, just wanted to say hello and hope to see you all here regularly. :)

Mike

Good day Mike! I'm a new member here myself, but have been building and painting for 20 years now. You expressed some anxiety about painting, which is the stage of the build that I enjoy the most. I can tell you that good paint comes from good technique and practice. I started out by trying several brands and types of paint - enamels from Testors, acrylics and lacquers from Tamiya.

Since 99% of my work is motorsport modeling, I learned quickly that I favored Tamiya Gloss lacquers because of their superior smooth quality, quick dry-time, and sandability. The last several years I've learned more about paint polishing processes from articles on the web. (when I started modeling, the internet wasn't born yet).

As an aircraft builder, you may want to try the flat enamel paint from Model Master, or the flat acrylic paint from Tamiya. Both are excellent paints, and both can be covered with satin clear or gloss clear...just keep in mind some basic rules: enamel over lacquer-OK.....acrylic over lacquer-OK ----------- lacquer over acrylic-OK.........lacquer over enamel-NO!

I've now reached a point where the paintwork doesn't cause me any worry at all, and makes for a more satisfying build. I'm sure with some experimentation and some study, you too will master the art of paint. Just stick with it, and remember - it's just a box of plastic until you make it yours. Anyway - welcome to the club!

• Like 1

Hi Mike! Glad to have ya here! Speaking of "bigguns"....I just finished biggun! It's down in the aircraft topics. Diver in, don't be shy, and have fun!

Gil :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for the warm welcome.

Bob, you are right there is quite a bit on the net these days, sometimes bit to much :) Btw, thanks again for the info on using different types of paint usage. I didn't realize until recently that you can mix things up...lacquer and acrylic. Question for you Bob...62parts? What's the story behind it? You only build kits with 62 parts and no more??

Gil, glad to meet another modeler that like big kits. I'll sure to check out your...bigguns ;)

Ha! No Mike - "62parts" is just my screen name here on this site, like you're "youngtiger1".

I want to add to my earlier suggestions- You said you don't want to end up with a toy, so once you become comfortable with your painting technique, you will also want to learn the art of weathering. Study it, find the materials, and try your hand. It feels odd at first to add dirt and grime to a perfect paint finish, but believe me - once you master these details, you will see your project turn from a "toy" to something much more realistic. I promise.

post-3017-0-35476500-1457037005_thumb.jp

Edited by 62Parts