IPMSUpdates

New Review: B-25B Doolittle Raid

Product Image

Academy has rereleased the Accurate Miniatures 1/48th scale B-25B in Doolittle Raid markings and it is a welcome sight as this kit was getting rarer as the days passed. Inside the box, you get all the plastic parts associated with the initial release as well as a decal sheet covering all 16 planes. The parts are well molded and even 12-15 years later, they are flash free and excellent. The clear parts are superb also.

I will forgo the history as most are well aware of the raid by Lt. Col. Doolittle and his pilots and there are many excellent references and even some fun movies referring to the raid. I have wanted to build this kit for a while ever since trading it off to a friend a while back and jumped at the opportunity to build it.

I did include two parts of aftermarket in the build. First, I bought Eduard’s masking set. Between the canopy and greenhouse front, it made for an easy masking and was worth it. Secondly, I added Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear. The reason for this will be explained later but it is almost a necessity if you are as ham handed as I can get.

read more

Great news. I like those early Mitchell's. Close to my how is one of the fields where they trained with their B-25s before the big raid. For a while, I have been thinking about converting a 1/32 B-25J into B-25B. Just need to figure out how and AM kits are very nice and for the most part very accurate that I might use it as a reference den the road. So, this is indeed a great news. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Not a perfect kit but looks great when done.

Gotta love the Reviewer corps for free stuff that's fun

Dave