3rd ID OIF "Thunder Run" Bradley

802chrisg

During Operation Iraqi Freedom the 3rd ID made two armor thrust into Bagdad. They where to be known as Thunder Runs. The first was on April 5, 2003 that went up the main highway into Bagdad and ended at the Bagdad Internation airport. The second was on April 7, 2003 that followed the same path as before, up the main highway,but this time instead of turning to the airport entered the city and stayed.

I was invited several months ago to be part of a group that is building one of each vehicle that took part in the Thunder Run's. There will be 60 plus vehicles when done and all will be on permanent display at the 3rd ID museum located at FT. Stewart, GA. the vehicles will be displayed in line of march as they where on those days. Each vehicle must be modeled to look like it did exactly on those days, right down to the gear and what each crew member was wearing. The vehicle I was assigned to build is the 27th vehicle in line #R-14 a Bradley IFV. here is the completed build. The base vehicle is the Tamiya ODS Bradley kit. Enjoy!

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20009_zpse

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20008_zpsy

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20007_zpsx

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20006_zpsq

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20005_zpsd

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20004_zpsp

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20003_zpsb

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20002_zpse

3rd%20ID%20Bradley%20Complete%20001_zpsl

• Like 2

Wow! That's a fantastic job, Chris!

I'm sad to say I haven't touched a model in months! :unsure: You've got me wanting to get back to working on the Tunguska I'm about halfway done with!

My club's contest, SuperCon, this year is commemorating the 25th anniversary of Desert Storm. I was a budding, young voice communications interceptor then wondering what the Hell a German linguist was doing in the Middle East! I figure I need to get at least one model done for that!

• Like 1

Richard Thanks for your great feedback and comments. I sure do hope that this build will get you back to the model bench. Would love to see that project of yours when it is done.

As for your time in the desert as a German Linguist? All I can say to that is HUH? I bet you had a ton of time to sight see as I dought you were very busy. :smiley29:

Chris G. :Smile_sceptic:

Outstanding work, Chris. I really like what you've done with the stowage. Nice, realistic dust too!

• Like 1

Thanks Dennis for the comments, the stowage was a lot of work. Seemed like there was no end to it when I was painting it up. Boy did they (the crew) pack a ton of stuff.

Chris G. :Smile_sceptic:

Chris, that is an outstandingly magnificent model! So realistic that if you put it on the right base and background, it would look so real!

Be sure to get pics of the final display. Way to go!

• Like 1

Mark,

Thanks for the wonderful comments. Normally I would put this on a base to complete the story setting, but because this one is going into a museum and will be on display there will be no base. The museum display will have each vehicle (model) placed in the correct line of march as they were on April 5, 2003 during the "Thunder Run". Here is a picture of the display taking shape at the Museusm at Ft. Stewart, GA. eventually there will be video monitors and artifacts about and around the display to tie everything in and tell the story of the events that happened.

Chis G. :Smile_sceptic:

12507199_10153467422863212_4327614454114

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...