1/72 Crusader AA Mk I conversion

Ron Bell

This conversion used the old Hasagawa Crusader Mk III hull with some added detailing with a scratch built turret with a modified Airfix 40mm Bofors. The vehicles were only in service for a short while after D-Day due to our air supremacy.

DSCN4304.jpg

DSCN4305.jpg

DSCN4306.jpg

DSCN4307.jpg

DSCN4308.jpg

Another nice one Ron! You're on your way to becoming the Dr. Frank Mitchell of armor, building these vehicles I've never seen or heard of (not that THAT is any guidepost....)

Even if it was used only for a short time, was it considered a success; working well as designed?

GIL

Mark,

I used the old Airfix modeling book on the Crusader for the exterior dimensions of the turret. However, it has minimal info on the interior. I looked and looked and could not find much if anything on that. My final resource, believe it or not, was the Italeri 1/35 kit of the same vehicle. It's hard to find and can be pricey when you do, but I figured I would use if for the interior detail, which was quite good actually, and then sell the kit on afterwards to defray the cost. You could also use it for the exterior, just convert the dimensions from 1/35 to 1/72. This chart can be very handy for that: http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/scalecon.html