Sign in to follow this  
IPMSUpdates

New Review: F-86 Ultimate Sabre

Product Image

In the last several years, Eduard has had great ideas by taking well done kits from certain manufacturers, adding their beautiful photoetch, masking sets and Brassin resin to it and issuing it as a complete set. This is one of those kits and it is a winner! What you get in the package is Hasegawa’s excellent 1/48th scale F-86 Sabre with a masking set for the wheels and canopy. Also included are excellent resin castings for the ejection seat and two frets of photoetch. One is colorized and is used to detail the cockpit with seat belts, multipart instrument panels, and other small parts. The second fret is not colored and contains replacement parts for the canopy deck and details, more seat details, and other smaller bits. Also included is an excellent color instruction guide and decals for five different markings:

read more

Very, very nice! I'm working on the old Monogram kit with 2013 IPMS National Convention decals, "Minute Men" Colorado ANG, circa '55-'57. I would like a commercial clear canopy but I haven't been able to find one.

Mark

It surprises me that while trying to produce a top notch kit, Eduard includes sub-par decals. While many modelers can source other, or better decals, most buyers of this kit are looking to do "one stop shopping"; that is, get the best of everything needed in one box. Poor performing decals make this a dubious purchase in pursuit of that goal.

As for me....been der-done dat; with paint!

F-86F.jpg

I did this with the Hasagawa kit in homage to Jordan Ross, inspirational model builder in the old Scale Modeler magazines, who did this scheme on the old Monogram F-86F back in the mid 70s when it was first released.

GIL :smiley16:

Gil:

They are not horrible (like shatter, too thick, etc.) but they take work to conform. If you have ever tried Caracals or TwoBobs, they snuggle perfectly and with the curves, they need to- I am not sure who Eduar dused for decals but I would suggest Cartograph might be better

In the end, it looked OK and I want to get better at natural metal and the kit fit really well

Dave

Sign in to follow this