Future dry time

ChrisM

I've heard different opinions on how long it takes for a coat of Future floor polish to dry/cure before moving onto the next step which is applying decals. 1 day? 18 hours?, 2 full days? What is the experience of you guys out there?

I live in a fairly humid environment so I give each coat at least 24 hours. But that's just my SOP and your mileage will certainly vary.

• Like 2

I think it dries to the touch in about 15-20 minutes. However, it does not SET for 24 hours. That means do not put on a second coat until after 24 hours. Reason is you will get un-even setting. The top coat will cause the under coat to sort of crackle as one shrinks faster than the other as they set. I think you'll have less problem with "blushing", that's when you get those white spots where you've applied decals, if you wait the 24 hours as well. Notice I said less, not no problems. If you do get a blush, usually another coat after the decal is completely set (again 24hours to be safe) will eliminate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to show how much modelers love Future floor wax, check out Amazon. Look up "Johnson Pledge Floor Care". Once you have the Pledge showing, check the "Frequently Bought Together" note. It has been showing Micro Sol and Micro Set Setting Solutions. Must be a lot of us buying it this way.

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys (Newbie Here)

Can you tell me please why are you guys talking about certain Floor Waxes ?

Which do you guys prefer and why.

Thanks guys

Happy Holidays to you and yours

Ray M,

They are talking about Future floor polish. The name has change in recent years and for the life of me I forgot what it is called now. The reason modelers love this stuff is for several reasons. One is it is an acrylic and therefor is very easy to work with. Your can spray it thru and airbrush or paint it on. Makes clear parts like new if there is a scratch in it. Shines up a model with a good clear coat, and used a lot as an underlayment for decals to prevent silvering. many more reasons but those are the top ones.

Chris G.

Ray M,

They are talking about Future floor polish. The name has change in recent years and for the life of me I forgot what it is called now. The reason modelers love this stuff is for several reasons. One is it is an acrylic and therefor is very easy to work with. Your can spray it thru and airbrush or paint it on. Makes clear parts like new if there is a scratch in it. Shines up a model with a good clear coat, and used a lot as an underlayment for decals to prevent silvering. many more reasons but those are the top ones.

Chris G.

Pledge with Future Shine Floor wax, however, I just went online to J&J and they don't list this anymore. Just straight Pledge. Not sure if they changed the formula again!

• Like 1

All your Future questions answered here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

All your Future questions answered here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

How about all of my Past questions? Where can I find the answers to them? (sorry, couldn't help it.....too much egg nog)

Ray, in simple terms, most model paint is flat or semi-gloss. When you apply decals over a flat surface, you can see a cloudy color below any clear area of the decal. Also, the decal will not stick as well. In effect, flat painted surface is a series of microscopic peaks and valleys. The decal sticks to the peaks.

Future floor wax fills the valleys and gives the surface a smooth shiny surface. The decal will set down fully over a future coated surface. Also, once the model is coated with future, you can use acrylic paint for weathering and to bring out panel and control surface lines. Anything extra can be readily cleaned up with a wet q-tip.

If you prefer a final flat appearance, then coat your model with flat acrylic after all your work. Hope this helps.

Hey Guys (Newbie Here)

Just tell me if I got this right?

After my plane is painted, I then cover it with Pledge Floor Polish then apply my decals.

YES/NO ?

One question: Does Pledge come in a spray or do I can I brush it on due to the fact I haven't

bought my hoses YET to air spray.

THANKS

Ray: yes, you apply the Future first. Then when it's dry (24+ hours) you apply your decals. Then, after they have set and dried; you overcoat the decals again with Future to seal them in and prevent them from getting damaged, peeling or any number of issues.

No: it does not come in a spray format. It can be brushed on with a fine brush. Once you do get your hoses, you'll be able to spray Future without thinning.

Merry Christmas! Now start posting some pics of your work!

Hey Mark

THANK YOU 4 showing me the way. I Certainly will follow your suggestions.

It's guys like that make IPMS GREAT!

Thanks again

schooner 😎