Debond Testors Model Cement?

dmjung

While I'm debating whether this step in the aft part of a wing joint is my stupid mistake or just another issue with this 1984 Japanese Sci-Fi kit with too many moving parts...any thoughts on de-bonding this kind of glue? I have the usual assortment of hazardous fluids... :)

The wing is attached to a currently free-standing "engine" nacelle which has its own set of parts which were joined using Tamiya Extra Thin. I'd rather not jack it up trying to get this apart.

--David

I am not sure if I am understanding your dilemma correctly, but if you are trying to debond Testors (or Tamiya Extra Thin), to seperate the parts, hit it with the Tamiya Extra Thin . It is so potent a plastic solvent, it will re-dissolve the weld. But be careful. This process can be messy and you will have to clean up the surfaces which were formally mated when the glue dries! Nick Filippone

Edited by Nick Filippone

It's the Testor's cement joint that I need to separate. There's two somewhat flat surfaces mated together so there's a fairly large area involved as opposed to, for example, the thin join of fuselage halves. I'll work up some courage tonight to take a crack at it with the Tamiya Extra Thin.

Thanks...

--David

Nick, that did the trick! I clamped the wing so I could get some torque on the joint with one hand and started painting the joint with the Tamiya Extra Thin. Took a couple of seconds of sheer terror and then started to bend open. More Extra Thin and finally completely apart. Thanks!

--David

• 2 years later...

I was GOING to say, put it in the freezer for a while; this doesn't work on cyanoacrylate, but it does work on most plastic glues (as I've found out!). Freezing the glue makes it brittle and easier to break.