number of entrants in the national contest

This has been battered around quite a bit with good points made from both sides of the discussion; especially concerning the possible fee structure. This is where the forums shine. There have been no disparaging remarks, no one lost their temper and insulted anyone, we stayed on topic, no rudeness, just some excellent points to hopefully assist the E-board in whatever they decide to do.

I personally want to thank everyone.

That was not our experience in 2005. We had lots of the senior builders bring things they had retired from competition because it had already won somewhere.

We had over 1,000 display models in addition to the 3,000+ contest models (not entries due to collections, etc.)

James,

Just to be clear, when Atlanta did display only, it was only open to registered entrants, right? My concern was that if we offered a lower-priced "display only" registration then then many of the people who regularly come and don't bring models will take that cheaper option. I don't think Atlanta offered such a lower-cost option, did you?

For the record, I agree with Mike and the Soup Doctor; start out with a few display-only tables, open it up to just registered attendees, and see how it works. I'd suggest recruiting a few guys who are good modelers and good at holding court (IPMS must have a few extroverts somewhere...) to bring some models and spend time there talking to people just to break the ice. Have plenty of chairs, and locate it as close to the bar as possible :)

Don

I'm no Master, but I love talking models so I would be willing to work a display room for a few hours. That would rock having a bar close by too!

If you are trying to do this in a MVP manner, how about setting them in the appropriate category with a colored entry form. Perhaps red with large block letters, DISPLAY ONLY. Have them set on the left or right side of the category table. I would suggest some form of limited entry. I can, and have seen someone brining in their entire collection. Limit it to a couple of models per category at least to start and expand or contract it as necessary from there.

I have a question out of curiosity, as I have only been able to make it to two nationals. Do most venues that host the nationals have the room for a display only area? And by the way, near the bar sounds great.

Jim

Pete: Sorry, but your idea to put display models in the contest area is a very bad one! A recurring problem in the contest each year is available space in many of the categories. It takes several people several hours of work over a couple of days, and continual monitoring right up until judging time; jockeying entries on the tables to make more space as the entries come in the door and fill up the tables. Even if the display models were clearly marked, they'd simply be "in the way". Also, there would always be that uninformed person who wasn't paying attention and forgot to mark their model properly, and either the judges would judge a display model (wasting time), or (worse) not judge a model thinking it was on display when it was in competition.

Display models should be in a totally different area, be it in the same room (if space allows) or a different, adjacent room of their own. This cuts down on confusion and crowding between the two.

Jim: It depends on the venue. The conventions held in true "convention centers" often have plenty of space and tables, UNLESS there's another event using the space at the same time. Others, like the one in Columbus last year, which was held in a hotel convention space, have more limitations, with less space and tables available (and another event there also didn't help).

If you go back through this entire thread, you can see why I've been saying that this idea of adding a dedicated display area to the Nats is dependent on promotion by the Eboard, limited in scope by the venue (especially to start) by the amount of space and tables available AFTER the contest is set up (do NOT pay for the extra space or tables), and should be limited to registered attendees so as to keep the financial income numbers unchanged while this new idea is experimented with.

GIL :smiley16:

Gentlemen the reason some of our members don't participate is the intimidating factor that there is a lot of GREAT LOOKING models at the Nationals. Six yrs ago would I have brought models to the Convention to just show at the level of my building experience - NO I DON'T THINK SO! (Especially for $40 :blink:) My fear and anxiety would have run me out the door. And almost did this last year at Columbus when I did enter (my 1st National). I'm sure those nonparticipants are just as happy as I was to admire the work of those who do participate.

Now if your looking to elevate our membership this Show Only Display tables should be promoted HEAVILY at the club contest level. The price is more reasonable, if any and a lot less pressure.

I've entered models at some of the Nats I've attended knowing full well that I have no chance of getting an award. That's not critical for me........rather, I learn a great deal by putting my best work next to other models in the contest, and then its simple for me to see what I need to work on. I find it an educational and enlightening experience to be a contestant.

In the end, if you want to compete then do so. If you don't want to compete then don't. There are many other conventions activities which are fun, educational, and worth the cost of the experience.