3D copiers

tkirk

3D details are just like any other aftermarket detail item.

Complete 3D kits are just like another kit but in a different/new medium.

Above all consider the basics ...

Construction; Flash, sprue gates, seams, alignment

Painting; brush marks, overspray, even-ness of coat

There may be a problem with the graininess of the 3D part substrate as far as the paint goes, but how was it handled in the basic construction?

Decals; alignment, silvering

I think if a problem ever does arise it will be because it's technically possible to 3-D print an entire complete aircraft (or whatever) model. In such a case there would be no "construction" in the conventional sense. Don't know how you would judge that. Mind you, although it can be done it would require some real 3-D computer graphics skills and high-end printing equipment, and would be pretty expensive.

I think if a problem ever does arise it will be because it's technically possible to 3-D print an entire complete aircraft (or whatever) model. In such a case there would be no "construction" in the conventional sense. Don't know how you would judge that. Mind you, although it can be done it would require some real 3-D computer graphics skills and high-end printing equipment, and would be pretty expensive.

It would/should be judged just like any other model with the "construction" kept in mind if the entrant went out and bought it. I.e., if no skill was required to "build" the kit, then judges should judge it just like pre-cast, one piece figures and die cast cars. Currently, models or parts 3D printed are REAL expensive right now because to get really good parts, a VERY expensive printer must be used as well as expensive components to make the part. Having said that, constructing a 3D model in a computer is just (even more so) as difficult to "build" as any scratch built entry. It's just built and designed in virtual reality. So construction should definitely be considered if the modeler did everything in the way of design.

Someone on Shapeways makes a spectacular 1/350 scale "Beehive" island for the Tamiya Enterprise kit. I understand it costs in the range of $75.00 (I am tempted) which will give you an idea of the expense involved in a full blown 3D made model. Also, the judges will need to know if the model is "one off" or a pre-production model which would not be allowed unless the model was available to the general public.

Who knows? Some day we may see a "3D Printed" category at the Nats, and that would be just fine with me.

Thanks for the Imput! A friend of mine asked the question and he doesnt build model?

I remeber when Resin and Photo etched came out and they caused headaches back in the 90's

Edited by tkirk

I think if the modeler him or herself did the design and program work and then printed it, it would be eligible for entry, perhaps, as suggested, in its own category. On the other hand, if one were to simply purchase it complete from the designer, it would be comparable to a die cast or built up and therefore not eligible for entry under our rules. Nick Filippone, Senior National Judge.