HobbyBoss 1:72 P-39N Airacobra

TGarthConnelly

Hi Guys,

I just got a HobbyBoss 1:72 P-39N Airacobra at my LHS. I just looked in the box and was blown away by the level of detail in the kit, especially in the wheel-wells and I think the cockpit is good enough too - so I won't be buying a P/E set. But, I'd like an USAAF P-39. Maybe AIRACUTIE or SNOOKS IV, just an USAAF P-39. I've looked on the net, there are sheets but are OOP. I looked on Ebay and whereas there are some 1:72 sheets listed, they're for the C, D, and F variants.

Two questions now arise:

Is a 39N the same as a C, D, or F? I'm a ship guy - so I don't know, OK?

Do any of you have a 1:72 sheet for a USAAF P-39N (or AIRACUTIE or SNOOKS) that you'd be willing to part with?

Tim

Tim: I can only give you a partial answer. Most of the differences between the variants is in the armament, as to which nose cannon was used (how far the barrel stuck out of the spinner), the wing armament, and whether 6 stack or 12 stack exhausts were used on the engine. The basic air frame and cockpit never changed between all of those.

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part there will be no major difference. The gun armament on the P39D 1BE/2BE was slightly different in that it had a single 20mm canon as compared to the 37mm on the other variants. Other than that I do not think there was any major differences, other than slight weight variations, and range and speed of the aircraft.

Edited by spiralcity

Hi Kevin,

Thank you.

Next question; Do any of you great guys out there in 'model-land' have a 1:72 sheet for AIRACUTIE?

I rarely work in 1/72 so I cant help you. Sorry.

Edited by spiralcity

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Hey, do any of you guys have a 1:72 sheet for an USAAF P-39 which you'd like to unload? I'd love AIRACUTIE, but, honestly, I would glady take any USAAF P-39 with nose art and the red surround around the national insignia. Thanks.

Tim

OK, First things first ... Clarence, I completely forgot - the decals came yesterday. THANK YOU SO MUCH, sir. Now, ... To Kevin, thank you for that link.

Hey Tim

While I am not an expert on the P-39, I have to agree with what others have already said. The major differences involve adornment, power plant and avionics.

One thing I can tell you though, is that the well known P-39,"Airacutie" was an early model, either a D, or an F. Could have even a P-400. There is some debate as to which mark she actually was. However, I can tell you with that she most definitely not an N.

I hope I didn't burst your bubble with that. Snooks however was either an N or Q, and both are almost identical so you should be good with that one.

That is a nice little you have there, and I also look forward to seeing her finished. Good luck, and get busy building!

Regards,

Freddie from LI

Hello Freddie,

Firstly, a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE thank you for sounding in ...

Secondly, I'm not, on the whole, a rivet-counter. I am - up to a point, if I choose to have a model shown and all that. However, in this case, the model, once built, will not ever be shown in a show or contest. It'll be built solely for my own enjoyment and viewing.