Spray booth in laundry room?

Schmitz

I've been taking advantage of the spring like weather in Pittsburgh this weekend to clean out the garage and basement. I realized I could have a more permanent home for my spray booth in a corner of the laundry room, right next to the dryer, but I'm worried about the dust it generates. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and managed to deal with the dust monster?

Thanks!

Don Schmitz

It's a gas dryer, although it doesn't have a pilot light. The gas furnace is just across the room and does have a pilot, but it's about 2 feet above the floor.

I mostly use acrylics, but sometimes can't avoid lacquer.

Don

Don, if this is in the basement and it is fairly closed off, I would really be worried about any paint spraying with an ignition source without a spray booth to clear the fumes and as such would put in nowhere near the water heater or the dryer. Too much risk. You spray with a couple of rattle cans. Go upstairs and forget about it. Someone goes down and throws in a load to dry and boom! The house gets airborne. It doesn't take much and frankly, it is not a risk I would be willing to take. I spray in my garage with the water heater, but being in SoCal, all I have to do is open the side door and the garage door and no worries with the air circulation.

Pete,

I spray in the garage too, but I have to disconnect the spray booth to get my wife's car in. In the winter the garage gets too cold to paint in and my modeling grinds to a crawl (and if I don't paint for a while, that corner of the garage starts to accumulate junk until the next spring cleaning). I would like to get insulated garage doors in hopes it would get warm enough to work in there in the winter, but I don't think they seal well enough to really get the garage to shirt-sleeve temperatures when its 20 degrees outside :(

Maybe I should think about SoCal for my retirement years...

Don

You'd be welcome here Don. There's a large number of hobby and history-related events and venues around to enjoy; not to mention the seven or so Hobby Shops we have in the LA Metro Area. I think you'd have a wonderful retirement here.

Pete,

I spray in the garage too, but I have to disconnect the spray booth to get my wife's car in. In the winter the garage gets too cold to paint in and my modeling grinds to a crawl (and if I don't paint for a while, that corner of the garage starts to accumulate junk until the next spring cleaning). I would like to get insulated garage doors in hopes it would get warm enough to work in there in the winter, but I don't think they seal well enough to really get the garage to shirt-sleeve temperatures when its 20 degrees outside :(

Maybe I should think about SoCal for my retirement years...

Don

Come on out! The more the merrier! I have been here 28 years in June and frankly am spoiled to have a garage that I can work in most days.

Check out the method that I used for spraying in the basement.

http://clarescorner.com/Spray_booth.html

I had good luck with this simple booth. The filter collected the overspray and seemed to collect most of the fumes from the solvents as well.

In the interest of full disclosure, I now use a Pace Spray Booth and I have plumbed it to the outside through the rear wall of the house. This is the overall best solution.

Don - I have a home built Spray Booth in my Garage that I use on regular bases. I use it for finer work and still spray with rattle cans outside on a beat up old fold out table. The booth started as pre built cabinet from Home Depot, fan added to back and door sealed with silicon. Inside is a forward slanted partition cutout same size as the filers I use. It has a shelf above with a plexiglass window and a florescent light above the spray area. I line the painting area with aluminum foil and lighted area with clear seran[sp?] wrap. I replace both after each Project completion so it stays clean. Fan is vented to outside vents that were already part of the garage. A few photo's attached

post-136-0-73901900-1454452384_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-64616900-1454452406_thumb.jpg