SAC White Metal Landing Gear for TSR.2

jabow

While I can't speak specifically to the TSR.2 gear, all of the SAC gear that's been offered to date have been done to serve 3 purposes: 1) to provide stronger gear; 2) to provide better detailed/accurate gear; and 3) to correct sit problems. It's a good bet that they will do the job (IMO). I'm sure someone who's building the kit will pipe up shortly. Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Yes sir. SAC stated that he manufactured the gear at the 18 degree angle, which is the figure that some say is the "correct" angle. Airfix molded the part at 21 degrees.

With a part that is not quite two inches in length it takes a critical eye to see a 3 degree difference, and since the TSR is not a widely known aircraft most who view the model will not know that there is a potential issue with the splay angle on the gear.

The good news about the SAC white metal gear is that if one doesn't like the look of the 18 degree angle one can whip out the Craftsman Channel Locks and make a "field adjustment".

There's some great video on You-Tube showing this aircraft flying, landing, and parked.

I'm currently working on a review item for IPMS and hope to have it done by the end of the month. I'm really impressed with the SAC gear and the Eduard pe sets, and it ain't 'yo daddy's Airfix" model. For those old enough to remember the quality of the kits many years ago the TSR-2 represents a giant leap forward. For example, the fit on the fuselage is so good that it remains intact when one simply press fits the halves together!

This beastie is b.i.g. so have lots of room for it.

My general observation/complaint about cast white metal landing gear struts in the past has been the poor production quality, with mold shift and parting lines very prominent. Metal plugs, pebbly surfaces, and soft detail round out my concerns. Compared to the original injection molded plastic, white metal came off second best. Has SAC done a better job in these respects?

Ed

SAC is much better and the cast legs from G Factor are even better yet. Nothing perfect but these are much better. I know there is a review of the SAC gear in the review section plus the Trumpeter 1/32 F8 was built with a set of the gear and it corrected a perceived stance issue

Dave