A plea to manufacturers of modeling tools: We need a profile gauge!

SkyKing

Scale modelers need a contour or profile gauge designed especially for the common scales we typically work in. Virtually all commercially available gauges are intended for woodworking or auto body repair, with needles that are too large to give fine measurements, like these:

k309631a.jpg

profilabtaster1a.jpg

It seems to me that photoetch technology offers the means to create needles that would work in a small contour gauge that would be suitable for models in the more common scales, ranging from 1/144 to 1/24. Such a gauge could even be sold in a kit to be assembled by the modeler, like some biplane assembly jigs.

So whadda ya think? If I knew how, I'd design and develop one myself. But here's an opportunity for an enterprising entrepreneur.

Scale modelers need a contour or profile gauge designed especially for the common scales we typically work in. Virtually all commercially available gauges are intended for woodworking or auto body repair, with needles that are too large to give fine measurements, like these:

k309631a.jpg

profilabtaster1a.jpg

It seems to me that photoetch technology offers the means to create needles that would work in a small contour gauge that would be suitable for models in the more common scales, ranging from 1/144 to 1/24. Such a gauge could even be sold in a kit to be assembled by the modeler, like some biplane assembly jigs.

So whadda ya think? If I knew how, I'd design and develop one myself. But here's an opportunity for an enterprising entrepreneur.

Contact the gentlemen at Unique Master Modelers with your idea! They have a wide variety of tools they've developed for modelers. This might be right up there alley.

I was informed of the existence of this product, which has a needle thickness of only .36 mm (71 needles per inch), but it's not exactly cheap:

http://g-jax.com/510/mko-5f.html