Airfix 1/76 Airborne Jeep

Ron Bell

This is really a three in one kit. You can build just the jeep, or you can add the 75mm pack howitzer that is included or use the trailer that is also included. Actually, it would be a six in one kit as you can do the jeep in its airborne configuration or as a "regular" jeep and markings are provided for both uses. Its a nice little kit that goes together will. I loaded mine with a bunch of "stuff' from the spares box and posed it towing a Milicast airborne 6 pdr. The differences in both to make them airborne are minimal, but in the case of the AT gun, pretty significant. Anyway, here 'tis.

DSCN4271.jpg

DSCN4275.jpg

DSCN4272.jpg

DSCN4274.jpg

DSCN4276.jpg

DSCN4273.jpg

Looks good! I noticed there was a unit ID disc over one head light. Was this removable for night driving, or was it done to reduce visible light?

GIL :smiley16:

That's a bridge classification plate; it's not a typical location, over a headlight, but not unheard of although I'm not aware of the reason.

BTW, Great work, Ron !

Edited by JohnRatzenberger

Looks good Ron. I have a dio planned of a Jeep pulling a 6 pdr out of a Horsa on D-Day.

How was the Milicast gun?

Phil,

I find Milicast products to be a mixed bag. Some aspects of them are good, others not so much. The airborne 6 pdr can be made out of the Airfix gun, but there are many subtle changes and extra detailing required. The Milicast kit at least has done all the major work, like cutting down the shield, shortening the axel, and adding the hinges to the trails. It also has better detail on the breech block. However, there is a lot of flash and some pin holes and locator holes need to be checked for appropriate sizing. In addition, you need to re-work the hinge point of the two trails because as cast, they can't swing together all the way. Finally, their instructions are horrible. A list of parts not cross referenced to the actual parts, only one exploded view with parts missing, un-intelligible photos and some mysterious lists of specs for other 6pdr. versions. You've got to be careful as many parts are quite delicate, but none of the work is major. All told, easier than converting the Airfix gun.

As to your diorama, check that they carried them in Horshas. I've always seen the heavy stuff in Wacos. And I'm not sure they pulled them out of the gliders with jeeps as the guns may have been loaded with the trails to the rear of the aircraft so they'd have to be pushed out, then hooked up. I don't know that for a fact, but I've seen a 75mm pack howitzer loaded in a Waco and that's how it fit in.

Thanks Ron.

I have the ESCI version that comes with the Desert Rats troops. It would need all the airborne modifications done to it and since I already built it with the trails out would need even more work so have been looking for an alternative.

There are several good pics out there showing a 6 lbr being loaded into a Horsa. The usual method of getting out of the glider was to remove the back end and drive the jeep out that way. I always thought that they had them rigged in the glider jeep and gun but have never found a good pic to support that. A jeep and trailer I have seen but maybe the jeep/gun combo was too heavy? Though one of the responses in this thread says that the trails could be shortened so the gun and jeep fit together in a Horsa so who knows. Will probably build it already pulled out just to avoid confusion.

I have only ever seen the 75mm howitzer with the Waco but that could just be not enough research.