Jump to content
BryanKrueger

Medium Mk A Whippet

Recommended Posts

Not all projects have to be challenging. Here are a few images of my progress on the Meng Whippet. What a joy to build! Even with the individual tracks that had to be clipped, I managed to build this in a weekend. I then spent the rest of the week adding and scratching details, but that's my own fault and none with the kit. :lol: I replaced many of the molded on brackets with brass or copper strip. The stowage box is scratch from styrene. The stowage is ValueGear. The asbestos exhaust wrap is from nylon string. I still need to clean up the guns but will hold off on those until I'm closer to paint so nothing gets broken.

whippet01.jpg

whippet03.jpg

The grouser hanging bracket on the right side was the most difficult to replace. I replicated it with some scrap PE fret that was the perfect width and already had the rounded corner. All I needed to do was solder them together.

whippet04.jpg

whippet05.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lookin' good, Bryan! I'm working on one also and agree with you on the ease of assembly. I think I'll still need to glue some of the tracks together as they keep coming apart but that's no biggie. I have to add some details along with some tarps, etc. before heading to the fun part of this build. Can't wait to see how yours will turn out.

 

dt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Clean Built, looks like a very promising kit (^^)/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dennis - Thanks. Yes, some of the tracks are a little loose. I'll deal with them later on after painting.

 

Pedro - Thanks. It's a super easy kit. And much larger than I imagined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a couple of shots before it went onto the base.

 

whippet_01.jpg

whippet_02.jpg

whippet_03.jpg

 

And here it is on the base. The bard wire was hand made.

 

whippet_01.jpg


whippet_02.jpg


whippet_03.jpg


whippet_04.jpg


whippet_05.jpg


whippet_06.jpg

Edited by BryanKrueger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This project is a Massive success! the way you achieve a lot of texture and many tones/shades of dirt is really remarkable. The paint is perfect too, and the cherry on top is the extra stowage, really make a difference.

 

and for the end the base, fantastic presentation overall, thanks for sharing it! Really Inspirational work. :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Pedro! It was challenging to make a dirt colored model look like it was covered in dirt. :smiley2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whippet! Whippet good! :D

 

Can't believe no one hadn't gone there yet... :smiley2:

 

Very impressive painting and weathering! Even if the build wasn't particularly challenging compared to some others you've done, you nailed it.

 

GIL :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gil.

 

Maybe not here, but there have been enough Devo lyrics posted everywhere else. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No such thing as too many Devo lyrics. I just wish I could dry brush that well. Great looking model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice workmanship, congrats on a well done job, does anyone know how the Meng kit compares to the Takom kit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Greg

 

Here are a couple of reviews. You can search the blog for additional build articles.

 

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/08/review-takoms-35th-scale-whippet-gets.html

 

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/11/in-boxed-andys-review-of-mengs-35th.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it wasn't a "dog" of a kit.

 

Very nicely done on all fronts.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous work, Bryan. I'm going to use your photos as a guide when I weather mine. Sweet barbed wire!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it wasn't a "dog" of a kit.

 

Very nicely done on all fronts.

 

Bill

They are both very nice kits. Only thing Meng got wrong which I didn't know about until I was finished was the hole for the top radiator cap. There is only a half-hole on the model where they mimicked the museum piece. It should be a round hole with a small dome cap.

 

Thanks Dennis! The barb-wire wasn't that difficult to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...