Jump to content

Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33


Recommended Posts

This is a project I have been wanting to build for a couple of years. The base kit is the Dragon 6749 from 2013. I'm glad I waited - I really needed up my skill set to tackle this one. There has been quite a bit of unexpected work to correct and detail the base kit. There is still a bit of detail l work that needs to be done. Panzer Tracts 8-1 has been invaluable for this build.

The StuiG 33s were based on refurbished StuG III ausf B thru E hulls. Dragon conveniently provides you with a PzIII hull with side escape hatches. Thanks. I also had to correct the armored brackets that hold the sliding gun plate and added some missing welds. I'm going to replace the MG with one with a covered sleeve.

stuig_01.jpg

The kit provides the Ausf E style small hinge brake access hatches. The ref photo I am working from shows the earlier large hatch hinges. I used parts from an old Imperial StuG B and cobbled together hatch hinges from the spares box. I still need to add the gun travel lock but both the kit and the PE set have incorrect details. One of the hinges is intentionally missing based on ref photos. The travel lock sits right on top of the hinge. It is unclear if this was welded or bolted shut. Most likely bolted as they still needed to service these things since the transmissions were already old. This isn't an issue on the small hinge versions as the mount is right in between the knuckles.

stuig_02.jpg

Tracks are MasterClub. These were the easiest things to put together ever. I had both runs done in about 4 hours while watching TV. Great details.

stuig_03.jpg

Both stowage box lids open and close. Still need to add the small latches. Still need to work on the tool clasps and figure out stowage.

stuig_04.jpg

Not all details turned out as nice as the hinges though. I had one side of PE fenders soldered up - took hours - working hinges and everything - and they just would not fit right. There were huge gaps under the fenders against the side walls, and numerous alignment issues when I tried to fit the fighting compartment. I could not chase down the source so In frustration I gave up and used the kit fenders. I think the StuiG had additional sheet metal plates formed on the inside but there is no real reference in this area.

stuig_05.jpg

Idler is from the Tamiya StuG Ausf B. Fighting compartment has not been glued down as I plan to paint the interior. The large stowage box are the kit parts reworked to represent the wooden style stowage box. I'm still unclear how high this sits if it hovers over the armored vents or rests on top. The are no clear images I can find of the rear deck with the large box installed. Many are missing but have the brackets. I imagine the crews removed them as it would have been a real pain to service and refuel with the box in the way.

stuig_06.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I placed things together for the photos. The tracks, wheels, fighting compartment, stowage boxes, main gun, etc are loose or held with blue tack.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Rob,

 

I think construction is done. The kit travel lock was a simplified single piece and the Voyager PE set only replicated the errors. I scratch built a new version from styrene strip. The Voyager set added the tool clasps and other misc. details.

stuig07.jpg

stuig08.jpg

stuig09.jpg

stuig11.jpg

stuig12.jpg

stuig17.jpg

stuig14.jpg

stuig18.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking mighty fine, Bryan. Can't wait to see it in paint!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mark, Chris and Pedro. I made some minor modifications since the photos.

 

Took out one track link per side to tighten them up

Added stowage to the smaller box

Fixed up the figure

Refined the large stowage box and lowered it (again)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Updates.

 

Coat of gray paint and scratches. No point in a bunch of modulation with a white wash. ;)

stuig_01.jpg

stuig_02.jpg

stuig_03.jpg

Markings are airbrushed using stencils.

 

 

White wash was created with HS technique. Some base white mapping, first filters and washes applied.

stuig_01.jpg

stuig_02.jpg

stuig_03.jpg

stuig_04.jpg

stuig_05.jpg

 

Still lots to do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It keeps on getting better & better each update you provide.

 

Thanks & great work.

 

Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavily worn white wash and running gear covered with mud and grease are the norm so I wanted to create something a little different. Given these were deployed in the winter of 41/42, I opted for a mostly intact white wash and snow-crusted running gear. The snow is a mixture of Woodland Scenics Snow, Marble Powder, Acrylic Gel, and Gloss Medium. A couple of different mixtures/consistencies were mixed up and applied with a small brush or toothpick. I'm going to call this one done for now until I can spend some quality time and refine and paint the planned figure.

stuig_01.jpg

stuig_02.jpg

stuig_04.jpg

stuig_08.jpg

stuig_10.jpg

Additional images can be found here: Sturm-Infanteriegeschütz 33B

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian,

You absolutely nailed the snow effects on the running gear. Well done, bud!

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...