The Duke's First Aircraft for 2016

Mark Deliduka

Hey all, I had a little time so I figured I'd post these pics of my first aircraft for 2016.

This is the 1/72 scale Williams Bros. C-46 Commando finally completed:

US_C_46_Commando_I.jpg

US_C_46_Commando_III.jpg

I painted this all in Testor's Model Master paints and Wal-Mart Grey Primer.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 2

That's a boss job Duke! The Williams Bros. kits aren't shake and bake items; so I know you put some elbow grease into it to get it to look as good as that. Congrats!

Now, if someone would just do a Commando in 1/48! Heck, I'd even settle for someone selling me their old Combat vac kit that they don't want anymore!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil! This is indeed fought me tooth and nail for ten months. What a battle, but now I'm a small step closer to having one of every USAF transport in my collection. I appreciate the compliments very much. Good luck in getting a 1/48 scale C-46. I hope you get one and I can see it built. That would be a treat.

Hi, Mark,

Congratulations on finding the missing prop blade so you could use a 3-blade prop. The whole thing looks great. Regarding your comment about having one of every USAF transport plane, which one(s) are you still missing?

Ed

Hi, Mark,

Congratulations on finding the missing prop blade so you could use a 3-blade prop. The whole thing looks great. Regarding your comment about having one of every USAF transport plane, which one(s) are you still missing?

Ed

Thanks Ed! As for the missing aircraft, I haven't got a full list. One was recently released; the C-54 Skymaster from Revell. I'm hoping to get one of those, possibly with some birthday money. Some time back I got a C-377 from our Distressed Kit Auction that is in great shape; I may get started on that soon.I also have a C-118 to get started on. Another kit I need is the C-123 Provider as well as a C-82 Packet. Then of course, there's the C-141, C-5A and the C-17 that I also need; although I doubt I will see those unless Zoukei-Mura decides to add them to their list of Big Aircraft since nobody else makes plastic kits of these aircraft in 1/72 scale. I would also love to have a KC-10 Extender, even though that is considered more of a tanker, but it was also used to haul cargo too. This list doesn't include the smaller aircraft; I'm just looking for the larger ones from the C-47 on down. I am sure there's a couple aircraft that I have forgotten that need to be added to this list, but so far, that is where I am.

Made a deal yesterday for one of my "holy grail" kits, and it's also a transport...a 1/48 C-119! :smiley4:

Lord, is there NO end to my masochism? :smiley13:

No there isn't, but then that is what makes following your builds so much fun! I sure hope you start that soon! If you do, I'll start my 1/72 scale C-118 so we can be doing the -118 and -119 in succession.

I don't plan to start it "soon", but that's because I have another involved conversion project I may try to start if I can collect the needed reference info. It would involve a bit of scratch building, but rely on modifying an existing kit, and be much less involved that the work I'm sure that Boxcar will require! Still, when I do build the 119, I'll more than likely start a build topic here like I did for the B-47.

Nice to see her finally finished. Good job.

I would also love to have a KC-10 Extender, even though that is considered more of a tanker, but it was also used to haul cargo too.

I worked on acquiring the KC-10. It is specifically a dual-purpose A/C -- carrying cargo and refueling. It is a bit different than other AF cargo aircraft because it loads cargo from the side, not a rear or front ramp -- so cargo has to be raised and lowered from it.

BTW, the C-46 is a favorite of mine. I saw what may have been the last operational models, flying for ROKAF back in the early '70's.

Thanks David! It sounds like they load the KC-10 the same way they do the KC-135. Maybe someday I'll get a KC-10.

That's great that you saw some C-46's still flying in the '70's. That would've been a great opportunity to get one or a few for museums, especially if they could've been kept in flying condition.

Thanks Joseph! I appreciate that. So far, I've no seen or heard of one done in 1/48 scale. That's a big lament for many people. In fact, I believe that; unless it was done in resin or vac-form, the Williams Brother's kit is the only kit in existence for this aircraft. Someone with more knowledge may be able to answer that question better.

Way to go, Mark! Nice work!

Mark

There is (supposedly) a 1/48 vac kit by Combat, but I've never seen anyone build it, or even offer it for sale; as I would have snapped it up! The Commando seems to suffer from being aesthetically less appealing than it's more famous competitor, the C-47; as well as having been used much more in the far east and Pacific, where it did what C-47s could not do, but with much less fanfare. It also wasn't used after the war for as long by the military, small airlines, or freight haulers; while the C-47/DC-3 has soldiered on till today in some places! Consequently the model manufacturers have largely ignored it.

In the meantime, I've got plenty of other models to build while I wait until someone does one in 1/48 or I finally find that elusive vac kit!

Thanks Mark! I'm pleased with how this turned out.

Gil, I'd heard about that kit too and I have never seen on done or offered for sale either. You are right about it being used where not much attention was centered on it; one member of another Forums had never even heard of this aircraft before seeing mine. I was quite surprised as I figured anyone who heard about "flying the Hump" would know about these aircraft. It kinda felt good being able to teach someone with my model.

• 7 months later...

Hey Mark, very nice job on the C-46. I'm getting ready to start my own Commando and I hope it turns out as nice as yours. Actually, it better, when you consider I'm building it for a client! I'm planning a step-by-step slide show on youtube as this thing gets built. Might even embed a copy here if I can figure out how to do it. I think your masochism is contagious!!

Thanks Richard! I appreciate the great comments. Good luck on your C-46, at least it won't be as bad as the C-75 I did some time before this. Feel free to check out my 2015 Maddog Manufacturing thread to see some of the issues and solutions I came up with. Most of all, have fun. Yours will be a great tribute to your friend; I'm sure your work will surpass my meager efforts here.

Hey Mark, your efforts are anything but meager. About the only thing that'll make mine different from yours is that the client also provided metal gear and metal 3-blade props, along with the Squadron vacuform canopy. Matter of fact, I'd like to avoid using the vac canopy, but the kit canopy is wrong in the shape and size of one window and the client wants it changed. BTW, I found a website where someone built a C-46 kit and added detail to the cockpit...including a couple of heater vents!

That is amazing to know. I commend that modeler; especially after having built this model myself. My issue with the canopy was getting the two halves to fit in the fuselage and still go together properly when everything was closed up. I am definitely glad that I finished that model. I possibly could have done better, especially after seeing someone else from a local club making this same model into a civilian airliner, complete with a shiny, flawless coat of paint! That, however is beyond me.

Please be sure to post your work as you do it. I'd love to watch your C-46 come together.

Nicely done, Duke. The smooth integration of the canopy framing with the fuselage 'makes' it, IMHO. That's one of my pet peeves & challenges with this type of airplane model.