Dark Metallic Blue paint ideas

Howdy,

I'm working on the Fujimi McLaren MP4/12C and using the Studio 27 decals to make the K-Pax Racing version from the PWC race Long Beach in 2014. According to photos found on the K-Pax Racing web site, the cars were dark blue with a metallic sheen. Any ideas on how to do this? I was thinking of taking Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue and adding a bit of X11 Chrome to it, think that would work?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Tim

Tim

Tamiya makes a metallic blue color number x13. It mite not be dark enough. Or you can try painting

the silver first and then blue clear over it.

Neil

Let me get back to you on this Tim. I know you're gonna get some X-13 and all that but I've got a resource. Trouble is that I've gotta watch the video for the link. Gimme a day or so and you'll have one more outlet for your quest.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Tim I finally got to watching the video again. The product is called Snazzy Silver Metal Flake and it's sold by a guy by the name of Gary Branik. The way its shown to be used is in the clear coat with a ratio of two .5 ounce jars of Testors Gloss Clear to one .5 jar of garden grade lacquer thinner that you can pick up from a local hardware store. The host used 35 drops of this metal flake mix to this clear coat mixture and mixed well. Gary Branik can be contacted at: kustomkolors@comcast.net

Hope all this helps you out, Joe

Edited by mustang1989

Hey Tim...do you have a pic of the car that you're doing? I did a search and saw a few cars. One was Blue with yellow. Is that the car you're building. If so...I think that Dupli-color Med. Quasar Metallic #BGM 0438 looks like a real close match. I used it on the 57 chev build I did awhile back and it really looks good. If you want it darker...I'd prime the car with red of black....That will make it a lot darker. I used Grey primer on this build.....

CHASSISON001-vi.jpg

Hope this helps you some...

Edited by GaryDavis

All, thanks for your ideas.

What I ended up doing, is I took Tamiya X-4 Blue and misted it onto a white primer body twice. I then put a full coat on it. Next step was take the X-4 and I added a bit of X-13 Metallic Blue to it and airbrushed that on. It looks the part but I feel I added a bit too much Met Blue but I'm going to deal with it. Unfortunately, I used a water-based gloss coat and it looks fantastic, but when I tried to apply decals, they stuck solid and wouldn't move. Now I gotta try to gently sand off the bad decal :smiley6: