1/24 vacuform P-51B Mustang

ghodges

This is the only "shelf queen" I have, but it's also been on the shelf half built (fuselage assembled) for 15yrs! So, I resolved to make this the first model to finish this year. There's a build topic over on Agapemodels.com if you're interested in all of the pics up to this point. But, I finally have the basic air frame complete, so I thought I'd show where I am as of today....The injection plastic parts are from a 1/24 Bandai "D" model Mustang, by the way.

002_15.jpg

So why build a vac? There is still no 1/24 "B" Mustang available; though Trumpeter has announced one in the coming year+ or so. I'll post more pics when I get it primed and ready to paint. Maybe I'll know what scheme I'll be putting on it by then!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 2

Gee, and I thought I took a long time

Way to go, Gil! Keep up the good work. I took the same attitude on my P-6E Hawk biplane a few years back.

Best,

Mark

Actually, it wasn't shelved due to difficulty. I made a "tactical" mistake while building....

After the fuselage was together, I decided to add the windscreen. However, it needed a thick slab of plastic on the inside to simulate the bullet proof front panel. No matter how many times I tried, I couldn't get that part "Futured" in place without an air pocket. So, I set it aside to come back to it after figuring out what to do about that, and just never came back to it until now.

If I'd have completed the air frame (like now), I'm sure I'd have kept at it, solved the problem, and finished the model way back then. As is, I STILL have that problem to tackle..... :smiley24:

Gil, Trumpeter has produced a 1/24 P-51 D.

The kit was released about 6-8 yrs ago. Also included two resin pilots. Missed you in Chattanooga it was a great show.

Ronbo.

Ronbo: Yup! And they've also announced a 1/24 "B" in the next 1-2yrs. However, I have a nostalgic soft spot for the old Bandai 1/24 P-51D, so I'll stick with that one. Besides, I already have it!

By the way, speaking of "tactical" errors, I found another doozy last week. Does anyone see something important missing here?

005_3.jpg

Seems 15yrs ago I forgot the tail wheel well! :smiley9: I remedied that this last week....

002_15_1.jpg

I built the box, threw in some structural details, and added a socket and bracket to hold the Bandai tail wheel strut.

Just goes to show that Rosanna Rosannadanna was right: "If it's not one thing, it's something-a else!" :smiley4:

Edited by ghodges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have made some progress, mainly in multiple primer coats, new scribing, and lots of sanding....

001.jpg

That's a Krylon silver primer coat by the way. It has way too much metal flake to use as a basis for the NMF. But, it's getting there!

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

After priming it with flat black and smoothing that with a Brillo pad, I applied the new AK "extreme metal" aluminum. This is good stuff (but $12 a bottle), and sprays easier than Alclad in that you can spray normally, and not worry about misting it on. It dries rock hard in about 30mins, and the way it handles, should take masking with no problems.

001_1.jpg

002_1.jpg

Anyway, still plugging away, and making a bit of progress.

Looks fantastic. But at $12.00 a bottle, I know I'll never use it. I can barely afford Alclad when I do get the cash. It figures all the best stuff is always out of reach for me.

I'm still watching this. looking forward to seeing more.

It's not cheap Mark, but then I only used about 1/4 of a bottle covering this honkin' huge 1/24 model. In my mind, if it sprays easier, dries fast, and is maskable, you get a lot for your money. I'm betting you could paint 10+ 1/72 models easily with one bottle; and a buck a model for premium paint is worth the investment in my mind.

I'm always fascinated by natural metal finishes, but when they are done on this scale, it's just amazing. You cannot have any scratches at all anywhere and your's looks perfect. Interesting that in a couple of the shots, the lighting makes it look an almost copper color but yet in others , it's pure silver. Maybe my computer.

It's not cheap Mark, but then I only used about 1/4 of a bottle covering this honkin' huge 1/24 model. In my mind, if it sprays easier, dries fast, and is maskable, you get a lot for your money. I'm betting you could paint 10+ 1/72 models easily with one bottle; and a buck a model for premium paint is worth the investment in my mind.

True, but then again, I do have several large 1/72 scale models that do exceed the wingspan of your P-51 such as my C-118, Super G Constellation and C-377 cargo plane. It would be very challenging for me to get enough of this to do the job right. If I get a significant enough windfall, I may consider it though. You see, I seem to have extreme difficulty in getting the type of smooth coat you have here on your P-51; even after using primer. I would most likely have to shoot three or four coats on each of my large models due to scratches, imperfections and more commonly; dust motes. Thus, one bottle would be gone; so the actual cost to me would be $12.00 a model, not $1.00. If I ever get to the point of being able to 'master' a bare metal finish like you do; then I might be more willing to get some of this when I'm more certain I wouldn't be wasting it.

Looking forward to seeing more; as Ron said; your finish is looking perfect. I can't wait to see this with decals.

Believe me, it's nowhere near perfect..and in fact have a few "scratchy" areas to apply some more filler to. There's no less than 3 coats of primer on this, but I've used spray cans to make that part easier and cheaper.

I've been hearing (lately) about the idea of rubbing out flat paint instead of applying a gloss coat. I did this to the last flat black primer coat and was surprised how well this went, and I didn't even attempt to get a polished finish. I'm going to be experimenting more with that in the future as I think it may also help towards making a finish more weathered while also prepping it for decals.

As for the discoloration, that's bad/inconsistent lighting on my part; but I was just documenting what had been done. I'm sure between the lighting I used and needing to set the white balance on the camera, that's what's responsible for the varying tones in the NMF.

What I think may make this AK extreme metal paint really useful is that while it has the very fine pigment of Alclad and Metalizer, it also seems to have a thickness more like the old Floquil silver paint (though it doesn't look that way in the bottle). My first impression is that it may be more forgiving than Metalizer (which can't be masked over) and easier to use than Alclad since it doesn't need a primer barrier coat and can be sprayed on in an easier manner. We'll see.....

Good to know and some excellent ideas as well. Thanks for the extra info and ideas. Like I said; if I get a sizable enough windfall, I might spring for some and see. I just don't like the idea of getting 'hooked' on something that I cannot readily afford to get when I need to. It's tough enough sometimes to get enough paint.

Keep it coming Gil! You're doing exceptional work here!

• 2 weeks later...

Painting has begun!

001_2.jpg

006.jpg

The model was first painted over all in the AK Aluminum, then Alclad 101 Aluminum was sprayed onto the wings and a few of the fuselage panels. The engine panels were done in ALclad Magnesium.

I finally settled on replicating this 1/48 scheme on my shelf in 1/24th...

014.jpg

Since those red stripes cover the tail codes....

004_1.jpg

The tail codes have been applied using dry transfer numbers, rubbed on one by one. What cannot be seen here is that I've also applied the first clear coat using Alclad Klear Kote to seal them in place. I'll probably apply at least one more clear cote to protect them more from the upcoming masking process.

Anyway, progress is being made....the trim colors are up next!

Brilliant job Gil! Those stripes look like decals they are so fine! Way to go!

I know what you mean about masking. I'm painting my Be-6 Madge and masking off the whole bottom took forever!

I'm looking forward to seeing more. Keep 'em coming!

Made masks and painted the side codes...

005.jpg

006_1.jpg

And I've also been working on the accessories....

004_2.jpg

Still quite a few small tasks to do, but I think the big jobs are done!