'54 Chevy Sedan Delivery-Completed Photos

I hear you loud and clear on that. Some times I hate the macro setting because it picks up things you couldn't possibly see with the unaided eye. :smiley24:

Well I was able to do a bit more work on it here. I've got the pulleys & belt as well as the alternator/ bracket and carburetors installed. Slowly but surely..................

001_zpshfga5emz.jpg

002_zpsjzsm3sig.jpg

003_zpsj7eowusi.jpg
Edited by mustang1989

Very tidy work there! We modelers have to depend on our camera's macro setting for 99% of our detail shots, right? I'm trying to use macro as a tool to train my own eyes to be more critical before I present a finished subject to my modeling friends.

Your close, careful work tells me you do the same.

Thanks Bob! I guess I don't look at it all that close as shown by that nasty dust bunny there on the front of the R/H cylinder head...... :unsure:

.I will add a bit of humor to the equation here as my son and I were at Walmart in SA just a couple of weeks ago in the morning grabbing a bite to eat at McDonalds inside. As we came back out to the car to go back to the hospital I spotted inspiration for my next build right there in the parking lot. It was a daily driver with a baby seat in the back seat. I couldn't help but to start laughing and thinking that I just had to make this one come to life in model form. I've already found a body for it: www.perrysresin.com/catalog/pages/gm_malibuwagon.htm
A promo style chassis is available for it. You can bet I'll be all over this one!!! lol . I've gotta find a car seat and a couple of brown bags and maybe a baby bottle now......

The perfect "grocery getter" complete with cowl induction hood, "skinnies" in the front and "meats" in the rear. If this aint redneck.......I don't know what is! But it's cool!!!!emotion-21.gif

001_zpsqdwkiwqn.jpg

002_zpseu9i23t9.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

.I was hoping to be more along than what I am here but this part took alot of work. First off I added a wiring harness that I still have to do some work on regarding a couple of circuit breakouts from the main harness. I took a piece of telephone wire and stripped the end off of it and used coil winding wire from a GM fuel pump relay to wind around the phone wire to replicate the plastic black conduit that you see on alot of more modern engines. Then I put a terminal end on the alternator cable with a nut glued onto that. After that I started on the throttle linkage by building the bracket and pivot lever (which was four pieces when you count the two PE retaining bolt heads that I glued onto it going into the intake manifold) and got that glued in.

I'm going to put a hold on the fine detail for the time being and build up the headers, paint them and glue those into place so I don't have to handle the engine very much when installing the rest of the throttle linkage and fuel delivery pieces.

Progress pics:

002_zpssezcgxyg.jpg

001_zpsoikvivnc.jpg

I'll be using braided fuel line like this:

002_zpsxh6mf6dr.jpg

and anodized fittings like this that I ordered from RB Motion. I couldn't resist getting these things...

web1521E-A-500x500.JPG

.It's update time again fellas! I've put it off for a few days in order to get most of the way through the throttle linkage process. Here is everything but the return spring and throwing a little Tamiya Smoke on the PE linkage parts to give 'em that true metal look.

The big picture:

002_zpsun1f8l56.jpg

and a little closer at a couple of different angles:

001_zpsq1v2zhcq.jpg

003_zpsjdvbfo2x.jpg

What to use for the return spring? I was sittin' around thinkin' of what was best to use for one of those on my last build. I've seen folks wind their own and I just don't care for the look. 1.) the coils are not uniform most of the time and 2.) I kept thinking that there's gotta be another way. I came up with the perfect solution for me.animierte-smilies-computer-020_zpsxmbudy Most of you have quick access to one of these:

A 1:1 scale turn signal bulb. Just break the bulb glass:

RSCN0251_zpstuc0vwef.jpg

pull the element out:

DSCN0248_zpsk6reczia.jpg

and you've got yourself a return spring............

RSCN0249_zps12wxkekx.jpg

Got the anodized fittings and braided fuel delivery lines installed this morning. I think it's starting to look like an engine....

001_zpsyqajtlmg.jpg

Well after about two months of working with the engine......I think I've got the base assy completed. I still have to add the radiator hoses and clamps, the throttle linkage from the firewall to the engine and an engine oil dipstick but I'm going to call this part done.

The 427c.i.d. Dual Quad Chevrolet Rat Motor:

001_zpsmyg7rvln.jpg

002_zpsxovwjtb9.jpg

003_zpslrltggn9.jpg

004_zpsfhsxapf6.jpg

It might be too late for this build, but you can keep the braided line from squishing flat by running thin solder into it before forming. I do that with vinyl tube brake lines on motorcycle kits too. Anyway, it looks great so far.

• Like 1

I didn't think of that Dave but you're right. I won't be doing it with this build but I'll definitely keep it in mind for future projects............and there will be more. Thanks for the tip. :D

Edited by mustang1989

Hey Joe...(Hmmm...the thought just accurd to me...that could be a name of a song!!! ) :smiley4: All kidding aside.....here's a link to PRO-TECH. Charlie carries the best braided hose that's out there. It has a wire center in it and it bends and keeps it's shape. Good stuff. That's all I use know. Here's the link...go in and look around. Charlie is a GREAT guy to deal with. Here's the link.... http://protechmodelparts.com/

Edited by GaryDavis
  • Like 1

Now that the engine's almost completed except for a few peripheral nick nacks I test fitted it once more on the rolling chassis:

005_zpszkt9j5kp.jpg

and then test fitted the body with the interior tub just to make sure we don't have any interference issues.....

Fits perfectly:

002_zpsuwnlyajh.jpg

Overall look so far is right in line with what I envisioned:

001_zpsjfahxwop.jpg

That engine really fills the engine bay...don't it. It makes this puppy look mean as all get out. Especially with the sit you got on the body. Looking way cool MARK. What body color are going with??

Thanks for the compliment Gary. No worries about the mix up. I have to be careful not to do that myself. lol .

I thank you as well Mark for the extended compliment.

I am going to use seats from an AMT 1988 Mustang kit that I just recently acquired since it has two sets in the box. I'll also be using the center console out of it as well.
First off the seats sat too low for me.

001_zpsmumoaolw.jpg

So I managed to snake a small Lego to use as a platform:

003_zpsrw4p9cpb.jpg

Seat is right where I want it in regards to height after sanding the towers of the Lego down a bit:

002_zps1ugburku.jpg

So with that.....let's add some carpet to the equation:

004_zpsvhqplvk7.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

.Ok folks it's update time again. I've been refraining from posting too many updates just because I wasn't spending enough time at the work bench due to snapping photos and posting all the time. I've till gotta install the seat belts/buckles, the steering wheel and some accessories here and there but I'm getting there..........

Looks like I'll be sliding that drivers seat a little more forward. That's gonna look funny with the steering wheel that far away.

003_zpsl0lnmjpk.jpg

002_zpscjdxqm9p.jpg

001_zpsyb9ccw1u.jpg