Question about 1:72 detail sets and decal sheets for the Academy P-40B and the Starfix F-5E

TGarthConnelly

Hi Guys,

I just "BUY IT NOW" the Academy 1:72 P-40B and the Starfix 1:72 F-5E kits off Ebay and they came yesterday. I have a "dumb question" ... are there detail sets like:

For the P-40B:

Cockpit

Canopy

Wheels

Decal sheets

I'd like to have it depict Taylor's 155 from December 7, 1941

For the F-5E:

Cockpit

Ejection seat

Weapon sets

Decal sheets

I'd like the VFC-111 Sundowners - but I'd take any USN "Aggressor" squadron

Can anyone please help?

Tim

Hi All,

OK. I've found the P-40 decals I wanted (on Ebay, buy-it-now). But, I can't find the ones, in 1:72 for VFC-111 ... Do any of you have them that you know you won't use?

Tim

Starfix kits are notoriously bad; any amount of money spent in aftermarket items would be better spent on a higher quality kit. They used to be sold in the dollar stores.

They also have a tendency to not be true to the stated scale so aftermarket items for other manufacturers might not fit.

Edited by RGronovius

Starfighter Decals has a sheet called "Peral Harbor Defenders" and I think that the P-40 you are looking for is on that sheet.

Eduard has a E/B set for the F-5E, True Details had a seat and Authentic Decals #72-33 is a sheet soley for VF-111. Aggressors do not carry weapons, they might have a "CAP-9" on one wingtip rail and an ACMI pod on the other. They would probably keep the centerline pylon on the aircraft to help prevent flat spins, the external fuel thank is only used for long distance flights, not your normal day-to-day flying. (I know this as I was in the 64th Aggressor Squadron back in 1979-1981 at Nellis.)

Hope this helps,

Tim

Hi Robin,

Thanks. Just how bad are they? But, I've got to say, none of the models I'm having built for me now won't be seen in shows, they're just for my "enjoyment" so to speak. Besides, my modeler is pretty-dang-tootin' good...........

Starfix kits are notoriously bad; any amount of money spent in aftermarket items would be better spent on a higher quality kit. They used to be sold in the dollar stores.

They also have a tendency to not be true to the stated scale so aftermarket items for other manufacturers might not fit.

Hi Tim,

Thanks, I contacted Mark at STARFIGHTERDECALS and he said that sheet is OOP ... But, I did find the AMI 1:72 sheet with 155 and 337.

That AUTHENTIC DECALS sheet for the F-5 is also OOP.

Thanks for the lead on Eduard ... and would you happen to have the part number from TRUE DETAILS for that seat? I've gone to Squadron.com and typed in 1:72 F-5E and nothing comes up.

Starfighter Decals has a sheet called "Peral Harbor Defenders" and I think that the P-40 you are looking for is on that sheet.

Eduard has a E/B set for the F-5E, True Details had a seat and Authentic Decals #72-33 is a sheet soley for VF-111. Aggressors do not carry weapons, they might have a "CAP-9" on one wingtip rail and an ACMI pod on the other. They would probably keep the centerline pylon on the aircraft to help prevent flat spins, the external fuel thank is only used for long distance flights, not your normal day-to-day flying. (I know this as I was in the 64th Aggressor Squadron back in 1979-1981 at Nellis.)

Hope this helps,

Tim

The True Details seat # is 72404, and is listed as F-5 or T-38 Ejection Seats - For all F-5 or T-38 Variants"

The Eduard sheet is SS168, here is the link http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/F-5E-Tiger-1-72.html?cur=2&listtype=search&searchparam=F-5E

Tim

I bought the Spitfire and an Me109. The spit had some shape issues that were noticeable to an armor modeler and some massive amounts of rivets. Some areas seemed 1/48 and others seemed 1/72. Wing gaps and stuff like that. Not a good kit in any regard/

The 109 was much smaller than the 1/48 stated scale with the same sort of issues. Almost 1950-60 era kit design.

Robin,

Again, thank you ... but, the model will never been seen at a show or be entered in a contest, it's only for my own "enjoyment" ... and plus, the price was right ... so, it was the "right" choice ....

• 2 weeks later...