Looking for sources: 1991 USMC M60A1s

DavidCIsby

Could anyone help point me to sources -- drawings or photographs -- of USMC M60A1 tanks in the 1991 Gulf War?

This includes those with the applique armor, line charges, rollers and other engineer equipment, and the TF Papa Bear pawprint vehicle marking.

Thanks

David Isby

dcisby@mindspring.com

David,

If you can find the Verlinden WARMACHINE No 13 "On the road to Kuwait" Marines in the Gulf War, it's a good reference. It has pics of 8th Tank Bn's M60A1's. It contains pics of A1's with the dozer, rollers and the MICLIC trailer. There are also pics of Amtracs, HMMWVs and knocked out enemy AFV's.

If you can find a book called Victory Desert Sorm by Eric Micheletti & Yves Debay published by Windrow & Greene Ltd ISBN# 1-872004-31-8 you should find some references there. hope this helps.

I think you will find out that most were A3's not A1's.Most A1's were gone by Desert Storm. If I remember correctly.

Ronald F.Thorne Jr.

I think you will find out that most were A3's not A1's.Most A1's were gone by Desert Storm. If I remember correctly.

Ronald F.Thorne Jr.

This is incorrect. The USMC's tank battalions were still equipped with the M60A1 RISE/Passive during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. One battalion received the M1A1 Abrams loaned to them by the US Army (out of European pre-po stocks), the other tank battalion went to war with the M60A1. One platoon of Army M60A3TTS tanks was parcelled out to the USMC's M60A1 battalion to give them thermal night sight capabilities. These Army tanks were integrated into the Marine tank companies within the battalion. The M60A3TTS tank platoon came from the 197th Separate Infantry Brigade's cavalry troop (they had not transitioned to M1's yet and deployed with M60A3s).

The USMC's tank force just amounted to two active duty tank battalions and one reserve component tank battalion during Desert storm. The USMC did not transition to the M1A1 until after Desert Storm, because their use of borrowed US Army straight M1A1s was temporary and they were not the "Heavy Common" version that incorporated the changes the Marines required to perform their normal mission.

Besides the brief Desert Storm use, the USMC did not field the M60A3.

I knew the change was about that time. I stand corrected.

Ronald F.Thorne Jr.

I knew the change was about that time. I stand corrected.

Ronald F.Thorne Jr.

No problem. A3s actually left service before the A1s did.