J&L Douglas DC-7C 1/72 vacform

SkyKing

Who remembers Mail-Call Models of Costa Mesa, CA?

I just acquired a near-mint-condition (except for the now-yellowed polyethylene bag containing it) J&L vacform kit of the Douglas DC-7C complete with Northwest decals, scale 1/72. The instruction sheet states it was distributed by Mail-Call Models.

I think the J&L line was picked up by Formaplane and distributed by Squadron back in the '70s. The molds eventually wound up with Aircraft in Miniature (AIM) in the UK. AIM was going to re-release the kit a few years ago, but discovered the mold was damaged.

I vaguely remember the name "Mail-Call Models" and seeing ads for them but know nothing about the business itself.

I have the DC-7C 1/72 kit in the Formaplane box. There is a two-sided instruction sheet, but no decals for Northwest or anyone else. Cost was $17.95 according to the sticker on the box. There is an ID box for the kit that reads: MHW Concorde House, 46 Haworth Rd., Crossroads, Keighley, W. Yorkshire BD22 9Dl

I bought a set of 4 resin aftermarket engines from Engines & Things to substitute for the vacuform engines in the kit.

Maybe it will be built some day.

Ed