Scarecrow

MikeH

With my workbench uprooted due to my basement construction, I'm trying some figure painting to pass the next two months. I've been inspired by Games Workshop's Golden Demon competitions and it gave me the itch big time to try this.

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

Mike, it looks like you did an excellent job with a very difficult casting. There is SO MUCH detail that must be picked out and painted separately with different colors and then various shades of the major colors.

Jay, please don't leave with the impression that construction is 0%. Every figure model presents the same mold marks as an injection molded tank or airplane or whatever. The mold parting lines must be removed in a way that no complex details are lost. Resin pieces have the same pour blocks as on any aircraft resin aftermarket set. Pieces joined with glue can't show seam gaps and must match adjoining pieces. Air bubbles and pinholes all must be filled. Resin plugs (or white metal plugs on those kits) must be opened and/or removed to sharpen details. I'd give construction at least 40%.

Point taken. I intended no disrespect. Rather, I find myself wanting to try one.

Very well done figure! To me. the most challenging figure genre are the flats. I am never ceased to be amazed by those who can turn a one dimensional casting into a three dimensional work of art with the use and techniques of paint and shadow.

This is the result of my efforts after an hour tonight. Just working on the face and mixing three various shades of the base color to pick out hi & low lights, this is where I'm at. I still have to blend in the colors to make the shading less drastic, but I'm learning as I go, so to speak, and remembering all of my art class instruction along the way too. :smiley1:

DSC00352.jpg

Nice work!

I dabble with figures on and off, but it is a skill for sure!

It is a nice change of pace.

I managed to get a bit more time to spend on this project. I broke out the oil paints to help with some blending and pin washes to bring out detail.

DSC00383.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

I've spent a while painting the jacket and finishing up the pants, & starting on the bone structure. Sorry for the bad pics, but everything's packed up with the construction on my house going on. I've still got quite a bit left to do - the hat, boots, red shirt, bag, and bones.

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

• 1 month later...
I'm a huge fan of Reaper, and you've really done justice to the sculpt.

Thank you for the compliment. I haven't touched this project in a month. Time's been minimal lately. I'm waiting for Halloween stuff to start showing up in the stores to make a diorama with him.