Tamiya Panther A WIP

802chrisg

In addition to the M1A1 Abrams project here is something else I'm working on. It is the older Tamiya Panther A kit. I had to fill all the motor holes and fill in with sheet plastic the underside of the upper hull that overhangs the roadwheels. I have replaced the main gun barrel and Hull MG with metal barrels. Add PE grills, made from copper wire grab handles, made from brass tubing the gun cleaning stowage tube on the side of the tank, replaced the kit tow cable with resin and copper wire. I have started to add the zimmerit. The turret still need to be done at this point. More to come. Enjoy!

panther%20wip%20001_zpsusvnqeyd.jpg

panther%20wip%20003_zpsdfgcr10a.jpg

panther%20wip%20002_zpsdbrrq5lm.jpg

panther%20wip%20004_zpsizuk1c3i.jpg

panther%20wip%20005_zpsl3xtnewl.jpg

panther%20wip%20006_zps3wvozixw.jpg

Looks good, I've started a similar kit, the old Italeri Panther and am using a set of Cavalier zimmerit I got for next to nothing. Someone sent me a set of Dragon Panther tracks for the price of postage. One of those kits the experts wouldn't waste their time on but is good enough for me to tinker around with.

Looks good, I've started a similar kit, the old Italeri Panther and am using a set of Cavalier zimmerit I got for next to nothing. Someone sent me a set of Dragon Panther tracks for the price of postage. One of those kits the experts wouldn't waste their time on but is good enough for me to tinker around with.

Rob,

Like you on your kit that is exactly what and why I'm doing this kit. Simple, good base to start with and wanted to use the apoxie sculp for zimmerit instead of my usual a/b epoxie. Love this stuff, the working time is the cat's a@#%.

I've attempted zimmerit on a couple of kits, a 1/72 scale Hasegawa Panther using included Eduard PE zimmerit and a 1/48 scale Tamiya Tiger II Porsche turret with Cavalier zimmerit. Got the Cavalier zimmerit on clearance when Great Models was going out of business and mistakenly listed it as 1/32 scale. Fairly nice set which inspired me to get the one for the Italeri Panther. I bought that kit nearly 18 years ago when I was stationed in Alabama. It was on clearance and around $5. Not good enough a kit to sell online, postage would be higher than the asking price and not worth the effort to sell.

I've attempted zimmerit on a couple of kits, a 1/72 scale Hasegawa Panther using included Eduard PE zimmerit and a 1/48 scale Tamiya Tiger II Porsche turret with Cavalier zimmerit. Got the Cavalier zimmerit on clearance when Great Models was going out of business and mistakenly listed it as 1/32 scale. Fairly nice set which inspired me to get the one for the Italeri Panther. I bought that kit nearly 18 years ago when I was stationed in Alabama. It was on clearance and around $5. Not good enough a kit to sell online, postage would be higher than the asking price and not worth the effort to sell.

Rob,

I originally bought a set of zimmerit for this kit from Cavalier. It was made for and marketed for the Dragon Panther A. I figured it would work for the Tamiya kit as well, but when it arrived I found that the pieces where smaller then the Tamiya model. So either the Dragon kit is out of scale or the Tamiya kit is. Either way the Caalier zimmerit looks and feels great, but I could not use it on this project. Let me know how yours comes out.

Chris

My Cavalier set is specifically for the Italeri Panther which is why it was so cheap. The modeler who sent me indy tracks from a Dragon kit also sent me some upgrade parts. The model itself looks like a solid kit on par with mid 90s Italeri molding, a little on the clunky side. Any of the Dragon Panthers is probably a better overall model kit. Kind of reminds me of the Esci Abrams kits, close but simplified. I probably built a dozen of those Esci Abrams both OOB as well as with an attempt at accurizing.