residue from Tamaya tape on canopy

clutch

I used Tamaya tape to mask a canopy. Upon removal there was a residue of glue that defied removal. My frustration with this is that, having built models most of my life, except for a 15 year exclusion, I feel as though I have entered a brand new world. Masking tape, in the past, was not an issue. Now, with specific products that are suppose to make life easier, I find the exact opposite.

The Tamaya tape was used on a canopy that had not been touched in anyway. Except for the frames, all other clear areas were masked. The model is about done and all I needed to do was remove the masking from the canopy............which then revealed a whole host of adhesive residue. I tried various cleaners and thinners but could not remove the residue. 2400 grit sanding helped but I'm frustrated by the fact that I never encountered the issues previously. The tape should have come off clean but it didn't. Now I have to figure out how to clean the clear areas of the canopy without maring the acylic painted areas. This is where it gets frustrating. Tamaya paint, future gloss coat for decal placement and then testors dullcoat after a 72 hour wait for drying. Pull the tape and the residue is all over the clear portions of the canopy.

Alcohol may have been the answer but I'm concerned about the edges of acylic paint that may be effected by such applications. Enamel paint was much easier to deal with but that is not the case in 2015.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

clutch