New ship Out of the Box rules and categories for 2016

EFGrune

The categories and rules for the IPMS Ship Out of the Box categories are being changed for 2016. These rule changes apply to the National competition only.

A new category of 'Legacy' or single-media has been established. The intent is to allow modelers who do not do photo-etch or are uncomfortable with it, to compete and do not feel that they are at a disadvantage against those modelers who do use photo-etch details. I look forward to seeing PitRoad, Revell, Trumpeter, or Tamiya plastic kits here - without added photo-etch. Primarily resin kits may also compete within the limitations noted. The category splits also address the rise of the high-tech kits which come with all of the bells and whistles.

The categories will be in place for at least three years so that we can see how they are accepted and how they fill out over time. The rules will be tweaked as necessary. And yes, these category definitions are being used as an experiment to see if they can be applied to the other major classes.

I had mentioned these changes during the ship judges side meeting during the Columbus show. These rules have been posted on the 2016 Convention website:

http://www.ipmsusa2016.com/uploads/5/2/7/8/52789559/2016_national_contest_rules.pdf

---------------------------------------

excerpts of the new rules are:

III Special Categories

2. Out of the Box

F. Ships Out-of-the-Box Category 425 – Multi-media or “High-Tech” kits: Entries in this category shall be in accordance with Rules III.2.A--E (above). Any commercially available kit may be used, but only the parts which are included with the kit (e.g. wood decks, photoetched details, resin parts, and/or turned metal barrels, etc.). No separate aftermarket upgrade sets either generically or specifically designed for the base kit are allowed.

For verification, the kit’s whole instruction sheet must be provided.

The modeler may choose to modify a kit from a whole-hull to a waterline presentation. The modeler may cut and remove parts from the base kit and replace them with any kit-included detail parts, in accordance with the instructions. Otherwise the modeler is not permitted to manufacture, replace, vacuum-form, or substitute parts from another kit.

G. Ships Out-of-the-Box Category 426 – Single Media or “Legacy” kits: The modeler shall use only the primary material provided in the kit for the construction and detailing of the entry. Primary material is defined to be: plastic, resin, wood, paper, or cast metal, and comprises the majority of the material provided within the kit. No secondary materials may be used, even if provided with the kit, with the following exceptions:

i. For those kits which direct the use of wire to replicate items which may be beyond the limitations of the primary material (e.g. resin masts or gun barrels), wire material may be used. This wire may be either provided with the kit or supplied by the modeler.

ii. The modeler may use thread, wire, or stretched sprue to rig the ship or fabricate lifelines. In no instance may photoetched material, including separate stanchions, be used.

iii. Paper flags or ensigns may be used.

For verification, the kit’s whole instruction sheet must be provided.

The modeler may choose to modify a kit from a whole-hull to a waterline presentation, but may not otherwise make changes to the configuration of the kit’s subject. The modeler may not remove/replace molded fittings (hatchways, gun tubs, deck bolsters, etc). The painting and decaling of the entry shall be in accordance with Rule III.2.B (above).

I applaud the addition of this category! It is an intelligent and reasonable response to an appeal from many members for just such an opportunity to compete with other modelers who share a perhaps more relaxed approach to modelling. And, hey! More categories means more opportunities to win trophies. I also think that this will allow us all to see what can be done with some older kits that really do not lend themselves to being competitive in the other categories. My hat is off to the National Contest Comittee.Pardon me now while I dig out my old Heller kit of Duke William of Normandy's flagship! Nick Filippone, Senior National Judge

I reviewed the rules of the other ship OOB category. (I had seen the legacy category a few days ago on a different site.) The rules on the Convention website are a little clearer. It would appear you can use wire, for example, to rig a legacy OOB entry but not in the multi-media OOB category? Is that logical or am I missing something? Nick Filippone

It would appear you can use wire, for example, to rig a legacy OOB entry but not in the multi-media OOB category? Is that logical or am I missing something?

The rule for category 425 specifically includes a reference to the general rules III.2.A-E. Rule III.2.C states that rigging and antennas may be added to an Out of the Box entry. So, yes you may rig a multi-media entry per the rule

Is this only for the Nationals or do the local show have the right to decide if this category is in their contest? I'm curious because in many of the smaller shows ships already have the smallest amount of entries. I've been to many shows where I won by default because there were only three modelers that entered. I like the idea and maybe more people will enter because of this new rule.

The rules above apply ONLY to the IPMSUSA Nats.

However, many local shows take their cues from the Nats, and they MAY certainly follow the Nats example if they choose to. Local categories and rules are often governed more by the budget for trophies than strict adherence to any national policy. So, encourage that local show to adapt the Nats rule!

GIL :smiley16:

• 1 month later...

I agree Rusty.

At Jaxcon the last 2 years we've used the following terms for our OOTB categories: BASIC and MULTI-MEDIA; with 4 OOTB genres: a/c, armor, automotive, and all others; for a total of 8 OOTB categories. We define what's what in the rules (besides it being evident to experienced builders); give a limited, concrete list of exceptions allowed in OOTB, and tell people if it's not written in the rules, it ain't allowed! It seems to be working well as far as we can tell!

• Like 1

Ed,

Here is a situation that will probably come up:

Some guy builds a carrier with the intention of entering it in 426.
Can he add extra planes from either an extra copy of the kit he has, the same planes by the same manufacturer sold separately? All of them would be identical to what came in the kit - and the selling of extras is little more than a money grab by kit manufacturers who deliberately include between 20-40% of an airwing.

And that doesn't even include skywave planes for the 1/700 guys.

Could we enforce this rule without causing too much backlash if the instructions show 30 planes and the guy shows a full deck?

Edited by jcorley

If you add something that is not in the box as supplied by the kit manufacturer, except as explicitly allowed by the rules, it is no longer OOB. The builder will have embellished the kit in a way not allowed by the rule. Why not more identical ships boats if the kit did not supply enough? How about more anchors, more but identical guns? Why is it so difficult to understand a lucid statement of a category description? It is always the same thing when we discuss Contest Rules and Category descriptions. It is apparently not possible for some people to distinguish the difference in their own minds between ' I don't like' and ' I don't understand, so it must be a stupid rule.' One of the most importantly qualities in any judge of anything is a willingness and ability to say: "NO, " even if there is backlash. Judging is not a popularity contest. A judge must know the rules, and be prepared to evenhandedly apply and enforce them, whether the entrant likes it or not. Nick Filippone, Senior National Judge.

I agree with Nick in that too many builders try to find loop holes, while others are simply inexperienced with contests and rules; both resulting in needless worries about what is and is not allowed. Our Jaxcon OOTB rules were rewritten to contain this at the very top of them:

The model builder should note that building a model “out of the box” (OOTB) is a CHOICE. Models in these categories have limitations applied to them that are not applied to builds in the rest of the categories.

The “spirit” of building OOTB is two-fold: First, to limit yourself to only those items supplied by the kit maker (except for the few exceptions listed in these rules) and yet get the absolute best result in spite of any shortcomings in the kit, be that in detailing or accuracy. Second, to compete at a more basic level, knowing that modeling “skills” are the only difference; not what is supplied by the kit manufacturer, nor any scratch building or aftermarket detailing. The idea is to build the model as provided by the manufacturer, and not to “enhance” it in any way outside of basic modeling skills.

Our National OOTB rules are MUCH more limited in this type of comment, getting into the nuts and bolts without explaining the above. Also, we have listed a LIMITED, CONCRETE number of exceptions to the OOTB rules, and clearly state that if it is not listed, it is NOT allowed.

The above beginning statement, combined with the set list of exemptions has pretty much eliminated questions on what can and cannot be done. If the NCC were to adopt this policy, I believe it would have the same result. And, just like our Jaxcon show, the NCC could always review and either expand or contract the number of listed exceptions depending on experience and demand..

Rusty's question, and Nick's reply get to the heart of what's missing: keeping in the spirit of competing OOTB! Without a "mission statement" (like above) and with an "open" idea as to what can be exempted; is it any wonder people continue to push on this?

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

Ok, now how about when the instructions say "Purchase kit # so & so for extra airplanes" (Trumpeter has "advertised" their extra plane sets in instructions before as optional purchases)

IMO, these questions need to be asked and answered before I potentially have to judge this category this summer (I'm a ship judge, not a plane judge, after all)

Which is why I triumph and harp on the idea that the ENTIRE NCC NEEDS TO MONITOR THESE FORUMS REGULARLY! (and yes, I was yelling that to them)

In this day and age, IF a person wants to be a head judge and serve on the NCC, I think it should be mandatory that they log on here no less than once every two weeks, and for no less than 30mins. I don't think 1hr a month here would be tough for them. They wouldn't have to monitor anything outside of their genre and the 2-3 forums where rules are debated.

If they did so, questions like the ones being posed here could be discussed and a decision reached by the head judge. That decision may or may not work perfectly the first show, but then THAT can be reworked in the same manner in the next year before the next show. The idea is that those who HAVE the last say are here, participating and helping to solve problems.

After being encouraged that the new ship OOB category was a innovative and welcome step -- and pleased that it would be monitored for future expansion -- I now witness, almost immediately, the old argument arise:

But, what if I (fill in the blank) and that is not literally in accord with the OOB Rule XXX -- or if I propose an reinterpretation of the literal reading of Rule XXX -- then, would it still be OOB?

As pointed out, if one chooses to build OOB, that it what they choose to build Should they choose to build non-OOB, will they then be permitted to enter it as OOB? I have heard the argument by a contestant that, if something is pictured on the box art, then it is part of the box and building that thingy in the picture complies with the OOB rule. I have observed someone using the box itself to construct some thingy and then enter the completed model OOB.

The hypothetical question on the number of aircraft on a carrier deck appears to be anticipation by an experienced judge of the arguments that are already appearing. He used the word "backlash", anticipating the hissy fit some hypothetical modeler might throw if he does not get his way. "Backlash" seems somewhat close to the word "blackmail" -- as in, "If I don't get my way, then I will make your judging experience really unpleasant.".

What, exactly, is the problem telling a contestant, "Sorry, Bud. It wasn't in the box. It was not one of the exceptions listed in the OOB rules -- which have been published for a good long time. Therefore, it is not OOB. So it was moved over there."?

Edited by Highlander