Future and Microscale Microset and Microsol

clutch

Using Microset and Microsol on decals being placed on a layer of Future, which has been applied over either Tamaya or Vallejo paint seems to produce a lot of stains and / or lighter areas over the base color, (allowing 48 hours to dry by the way). No amount of effort has any effect on the stains other than trying to dry brush the base color back on which, reduces the stain but does not eliminate it.

Is Future reacting to the Microscale product?

I'm frustrated at this point because I have tried various methods to apply decals to a gloss surface and nothing seems to be working.

Testors gloss seems to react to any application over acrylic paint and now Future seems to have it's own particular likes and dislikes.

Life was much easier with solvent based paints but the world has changed....sigh!

I would appreciate any input on this issue. I get my paint laid out nice and then everything turns to poopoo when I start on the decals.

Thanks,

Clutch

You are applying decals the same way that I do although I use Testors MM for my base coats. One thing to think about - do you have to use Microsol? I only use Microsol in case I need a decal to fit a complex surface. One other suggestion - Have you applied some more Future over the surface when everything is dry. This will usually eliminate any clouding effect. I then usually apply a flat clear acrylic topcoat to finish the model.

I've had the same reaction using Future as well as Alclad clear coat gloss. I think the issue might be that Microset and sol use ammonia in it's formula and ammonia attacks water based products. I do use a second coat of clear after I decal and it seems to clear up the cloudiness issue.

Eric

Read this: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO APPLY A GLOSS COAT BEFORE APPLYING DECALS! I've been preaching this for years, but nobody seems to believe it's true. So i refer you to Paul Budzik's videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_-v7-Wp6no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chCLz7xnnZQ

Edited by SkyKing

I had similar problems with Future and decal solutions.

Recently I have exercised extreme patience and allowed the Future gloss coat to dry for 48 hours. When applying the decals I float them into place with water, and then use a Q-tip to squeegee the water out from under the decal, and finally blot everything with a folded paper towel. I apply the decal solvent on the decal, removing any solvent from the adjacent surfaces, and allow the decal to dry. A second application of solvent may be required so use the same procedure.

Prior to applying the final clear coat I use a damp cotton cloth to wipe down the decaled areas and remove any solvent residue.

This solved my problem.

to all thank you.I put a second coat of future over the decals and a majority of the stains went away. I didn't realize ammonia was in the Microscale products but that is a definite no no with Future. Thanks again.

clutch

There is another variable still! All decals are not the same! I had read that touching the undersurface of the decal to a puddle of Future after taking it off the backing before apply it to the model would eliminate silvering. I tried it a oouple of times and it worked great. Then I tried it with some other brand of decal and it disintegrated when it hit the Future. I suppose I should be keeping track of all these misadventures including the various brands of solutions and decals that produce such different results. But, in fact, of late, I have been getting good results with Testors Model Master enamels, Testors Gloss Clear Lacquer, Microset, decal, Microsol, Testors Gloss Clear Lacquer and Testors Lacquer Flat, in that order. Solvaset, if needed for a stubborn decal must be used sparingly as it can do more harm than good. Nick Filippone

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, there's no ammonia in Microsol; it's some obscure alchohol which I can't remember the name of at the moment but it probably would react with Future. A follow up top coat with Future usually eradicates the stain.

Here's the MSDS for Microsol:

http://www.decalconnection.com/msds_microsol.pdf

No ammonia

Microset is merely acetic acid.

Most other manufacturers utilize these formulae.

If you're having trouble with decals shattering when they hit the water then they have been exposed to humidity and heat and the ink is fractured. You can coat it with Microscale Decal Film which usually saves most.

HTH