New 1/72 Mercury Atlas Coming from Horizon Models

SkyKing

Interesting and unique way to show the model on the box art.

The body of the Atlas was basically a fuel tank - an aluminum balloon that had to be kept pressurized when empty lest it collapse. The extremely cold fuel and oxidizer caused ice to build up on the outside from condensation of the moisture in the atmosphere, and Cape Canaveral, being on the coast, had a lot of moisture in the atmosphere. At launch, all that ice broke off. I'm old enough to have seen every Mercury Atlas launch live on TV, and the first time I saw one I thought the Atlas had broken up, until the announcer explained what it was. The later Saturn launches featured even more ice due to the size of the booster, but that first Atlas launch was spectacular, and the box artist has captured it extremely well.

Sweet! Another one to add to my collection of Real Space. This is going to be great! I gotta start saving my cash.

Although I'm not on the Review Crew, I'd love to review this, especially since I'll be able to build and complete it fast. But I know that is not going to happen. I'll be looking forward to seeing the review done so I can take notes for the time I get one of my own.

Mark- always welcome to join and try out the reviewer corps. I can't figure out why some one would not join. You review one kit, book, decals sheet, etc. and it offsets the cost of membership easily. I do undertstand how building to a time line and writing may not be someone's cup of tea.

Dave

Dave, thanks, but I would have a hard time with being a member of the Reviewer Corps. It is not because of the difficulty in building and writing on a deadline; no, I am quite adept at that. The reason it would be difficult is because I stick to 1/72 scale in armor, aircraft; and now real space; mostly due to size restrictions (for most kits). More importantly to me; I also wish to maintain full consistency in the scale of my entire collection of aircraft and armor, and now real space models. I love being able to look at my collection of built models and see how all my armor, aircraft and real space models are all the same scale; and be able to see the size reference from one to another to another. Because I would have no choice in what scale the model is that I receive to review; it is better that I don't join up.

Thanks for the consideration, I look forward to seeing a review done on this and will continue to set something aside to get this when I can.