Project Hustler : Convair B-58 Revell/Monogram kit 1:48 scale model

aquatarkus10

Hi to all .
I have the pleasure to present and share my latest MWP (Metal Work Panels) work :
Convair B58 Hustler based on the kit Revell / Monogram (1980 ) and completely revised and detailed .
This model was entirely covered with thin aluminum panels adhesive ( Metal Work Panels ) .
The model has been updated with the resin set (cockpit ) produced by Lone Star Models, the exhausts set (resin and pe) by Aires and finally , the full metal set of the wheels by Scale Air Conversions .

The uprights of the wing surfaces were coated with Bare Metal Foil (Matte )

Untitled-2.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3318%20copy2.jpg

IMG_3126%202%20copy.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

For more info & pics: http://www.adventurephotomodels.com

Thanks for your attention and for watching this work

George

• Like 1

Holy cow! That is some superb metal work Giorgio! Looks just like the real thing. I would love to see some close-up pics of your gear bays and the exposed engine detailing. Thanks for posting and congrats on a very pretty build!

GIL :smiley16:

That's some awesome work. I saw one of the few survivors at the Pima Air Museum in Arizona. Put this model against that background it would be hard to tell the difference. Thanks for sharing.

Geez - I thought the Bare Metal Foil work required for the AMT 1958 Impala was tough! I have used heavy duty kitchen aluminum foil with Bare Metal Foil Aluminum Foil Adhesive on a 1/32 Mack Fire Engine that I did a number of years ago and found it very time consuming and difficult to get just right, but this goes way beyond. Great Work. Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Are "Metal Work Panels" a product? can you tell us how they work and where you get them?

There are some polished-aluminum sports cars that should be this shiny...

Don

Hi Don

Thank you for your interest in this work

MWP ( Metal Work Panels ) is the standard technique for processing metal panel .

The material used is of simple aluminum tape adhesive

available in hardware stores or Brico

here some example:

mwp_11.jpg

pod__07.jpg

intake_27.jpg

mwp_59.jpg

mwp_57.jpg

mwp_61.jpg

mwp_63.jpg

intake_23.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

mwp_49.jpg

I suggest the tape SARATOGA with protective film ( for cloning the original panel )

Explain how the technique MWP is not easy but , if you want, you can find a short guide ( illustrated step by step )

This is the link :

http://www.adventurephotomodels.com/how-to/metal-work-panels-la-guida/

many greetings

George

• Like 1

George,

Years ago I had picked up a roll of this tape at a hardware store and tried to figure out how to do this. I never got very good results and eventually gave it up; the job you did on this plane is just amazing! I'll take a look at the video and give it another try.

Thanks!

Don

I agree, that's some amazing results for what you used. This reminds me of the old "Squadron Skin" self-adhesive metallic paper from the early 70s. It worked well, but was quite thick (unlike the later Bare Metal foil). It really stood out if you used it on just a panel, and you had to cover ALL of the adjacent panels to properly blend it in. It completely defeated me on those compound curves, which is what makes this model so outstanding in both looks and skillful accomplishment!

GIL :smiley16: