1:144 Hobby Craft F-14A

TGarthConnelly

Hi Guys,

Well, today is the day of the week that I go over to my modeler, Stan's house to watch him build models for me. Our current project is a 1:144 Hobby Craft F-14A Tomcat. A couple of months ago, I was able to, via my brother, win two 1:144 F-14As - one from Hobby Craft and one from Ace on Ebay, ... something like $5 for the pair. I gave the one from Ace to Stan as a way to say thanks ...

The Hobby Craft kit isn't a bad little kit. It looks like a Tomcat, but the rivet-counters out there will find tons of errors. Though, there isn't even so much of as a rudimentary cockpit or pylons for the wings. Stan will scratch-build pylons for the wings so that 4 AIM-9s can be hung there. My 14 will be configured in the short-ranged interception role, 4 AIM-9s, 4 AIM-7s and 2 external fuel tanks. A nice man named Jim Moses sent me a 1:144 weapons set with the required missiles, and it contains what looks like the external fuel tanks.

I got the STARFIGHTER DECALS 1:144 set for VF-111 SUNDOWNERS. I am a little disappointed in that - a few years ago, when I originally ordered the set, I thought I was getting markings for MISS MOLLY. However, last week, when I was at Stan's and as he was gluing the fuselage and wings together, I looked at the set and whereas it's from VF-111, a F-14 with "200" on the nose with a sharkmouth's motif - there's no MISS MOLLY nose-art ... Oh, well.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Just before Christmas, I decided to do an experiment. Have a 1:144 kit built for me, to see if I'd like it and to see if it'd save shelf-space. Whereas, 1:144 would definitely save space, I was extremely disappointed in the 1:144 Academy F-14 Tomcat. Sure, my guy's a "master-modeler" with talent up the wahzoo, the kit is toylike with no detail ... there wasn't even a basic cockpit, just two GAPING holes there, the landing gear wheels were/are HUGE ... Even with a talented builder, a reasonable looking paint job, STARFIGHTER DECALS and aftermarket missiles - it was a disappointment (although I did not say that to my builder). I won't be getting anymore 1:144 fighters ... I MIGHT try and track down the out-of-production MINICRAFT 1:144 PBY-5A and see how that turns out ...

Tim

Most people who build 1/144 build only the very largest planes such as bombers and transports, and even though only build them if they have very limited display space, or just want a "fast, undetailed" build. Many of the 1/144 molds are actually quite old, dating from the 70s and 80s, so scale fidelity and detailing are decidedly lacking at times.

1/144 is a tough scale to build for, no matter how talented a builder may be. It's certainly too small to try to duplicate anything but the largest parts of a cockpit (like a seat).

The best thing is to do what you've been doing: ask here about something before you buy it. Generally, someone will know about it well enough to steer you to or away from it!

GIL :smiley16:

OK, I build 1/144. I tell people the reason is that my modeling room used to be the golf cart garage... and it's also the pantry and laundry room. VERY limited space.

But I do build stuff smaller than a B-29.

This one fits nicely on a penny.

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/mignet-hm14-pou-du-ciel-flying-flea

Jim Pearsall

Well, it's academic now. Two of my 4 Siamese cats (one aptly named Temujin ... i.e.: Genghas Kahn) DESTROYED the F-14 ........................ DESTROYED it .............