M1A1 Abrams WIP Update 11-30-15

802chrisg

Here is the latest updates on my M1A1 build.

Was able to get some detailing done on the kit's commanders .50 cal MG.

WIP%20Bradley%20amp%20M1%20017_zpsxkzmdp

The road whells have been assembled and the mud/dirt holes drilled out on the kits drive sprockets.

WIP%20Bradley%20amp%20M1%20015_zpsu5fjjy

WIP%20Bradley%20amp%20M1%20016_zpsbwfbie

I also added a PE water can rack on the right side of the turret. I previously had added a resin one on the other side in my first post.

WIP%20Bradley%20amp%20M1%20018_zpsr4p6v8

Chris,

Where did you get those resin bits (stowage)?

Thanks,

Tim

Your commander's hatch needs to be straight up and down, perpendicular not leaning back.

If I turn the whole tank a little bit downward will that make it right? LOL Just kidding, I'll correct that. Thanks Rob!!

Also the brass sights and the charging handle on the right side of the machine gun should be removed. The .50 on the Abrams is the M48(turret type) and as such has no charging handle (an M10 charging cable is permanently affixed) and has no sights since it is designed to be aimed via the commander's weapon station sight (the periscope looking oblong sight adjacent to the mounting arm).

A regular M2 .50 cal can't be mounted on the Abrams because the charging handle would actually be where that mounting arm is.

m1a1_details_112_of_435.jpg

On other sites, like Fine Scale Modeler, I often hold my tongue because I'd get attacked and called a nitpicker or rivet counter if I made these observations. I normally temper my corrections based on the work the original poster is doing. Had he been building the kit OOB, I would only just pointed out the hatch because it is an easy fix.

Since he was going full out with the PE and down to scale chain for the .50 mount, I figured he might want to know these details. If he didn't appreciate the hatch observation or if other members attacked me for daring to make a suggestion, I would not have followed with the other points.

• Like 1

On other sites, like Fine Scale Modeler, I often hold my tongue because I'd get attacked and called a nitpicker or rivet counter if I made these observations. I normally temper my corrections based on the work the original poster is doing. Had he been building the kit OOB, I would only just pointed out the hatch because it is an easy fix.

Since he was going full out with the PE and down to scale chain for the .50 mount, I figured he might want to know these details. If he didn't appreciate the hatch observation or if other members attacked me for daring to make a suggestion, I would not have followed with the other points.

Thrust me Rob when I say Thank you for pointing these correction out to me. I did not know this info and it was very helpful as I am going for a very accurate dipicted vehicle to display. I have another build going , a ODS Bradley that was part of the Thunder Run on April 5 2003 during the drive to Bagdad. That one is going to be placed in the 3rd ID museum display in Ft. Stewart, GA. The group I'm a part of is always pointing out and giving me feedback on what to do and not to do. Very helpful. It is always good to hear from someone that knows and can provide the info in a positive way, not like sounding like some a-hole rivit counter.

Again Thanks! I did correct the issues that you pointed out last night and will post some updated photos tonight.

Chris G.

The Abrams and Bradleys have both gone through numerous changes throughout their lifespans. Especially during the various OIFs. Some details that are or aren't there today may have been different a few years ago. It is difficult to make observations like those without knowing what time period someone wants to depict. The ones I point out are very basic and have not changed from the original XM1 to the M1A1AIM and M1A2SEP.

I try to help where I can, but again, a youngster building the Academy kit OOB gets a different level of pointers than a more advanced modeler working with a premium kit with higher end aftermarket accessories. This is one of the reasons I do not visit the other site I mentioned any more, although I do occasionally get emails or private messages from members at that site asking for assistance offline.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...