ancient Revell General Dynamics F-16A kit

RGronovius

I built this kit a very long time ago; close to 40 years since it was a new kit when I first built it.

I ran across one and grabbed it recently. Any suggestions on building this thing? More of a nostalgia build than accurizing and updating.

122545-10189.jpg

Wow, Robin,

That is a great snag. Personally, I wouldn't try to do too much with the kit. Of the two options, I'd probably go with the combat option and look to pick up a cheap set of appropriate decals (the kit ones are probably suspect). Still, I'd build it strictly for enjoyment and absolutely nothing more.

Thanks for the time warp!

Robert, you were reading my mind; I was planning to build the combat version with minimum stores, perhaps just the wing tip missiles. I also assume the decals are not up to par and was going to search for some better quality ones. Wasn't going to even attempt any aftermarket other than decals.

On the original kit, I know I built it with the 3 color option, masking only the blue and red with the white portions unpainted. I probably added every bomb, missile, fuel tank and pod possible because I was just a kid and it looked cool.

Whatever you do, if you're faithful to the prototype, which I believe the kit faithfully represents, you'll be ok. If you try to replicate something newer and operational, I think you'll be on more shaky ground. Even I built that one "way back when", and I don't build 1/72! :smiley2:

GIL :smiley16:

Hi, Robin,

Last summer I assembled a box scale Revell B-24J Liberator "Buffalo Bill" from a kit I bought in 1957 and never got past the painting stage of parts. Anyway, I used the original Revell decals. The decals took forever (it seemed) to soak through and release from the backing paper, so just be patient. They could be moved around and positioned without a problem. Because this was a "rivet kit," I had to use a touch of Solvaset to get the decals to conform to the rivet heads. The decals did not crack or break up. I even got the large round B-24 decal to fit onto the clear swivel base piece.

I'm looking in my copy of this kit (H-222) as I type this. My decal sheet looks good. Unless the decal sheet for your F-16A looks obviously damaged, I'd give those old original decals a try. Try decal #36 for the grille on the tow tractor first. There is a lot of extra carrier film that you might want to trim off first. If this one works, go for the rest of them. The cockpit panel decals will be next, then the exterior decals. Good luck. Finding that these decals work is better than searching for an elusive replacement sheet.

Ed

Build it and enjoy the nostalgia. I have a copy of that same kit floating around here, and I plan to build it in the roll-out scheme. Back many moons ago, my brother and I and the other kids in the neighborhood pretty much cleaned out the local SuperX Drugs' model shelves--this was one of the models I bought and built. I loved all the ordnance and GSE, and thought it was really cool that Revell included all of it.

Ralph