The Holy Grail of seam filling putty

Nick Filippone

For me, the great quest has always been to find a mythical putty to fill seams. This putty would thin and clean with water. It could be removed with water and thus not harm the plastic. It would be easily paintable. And now, I may have found it! It is called-perhaps not surprisingly- Perfect Plastic Putty, by Deluxe Materials. ( Amazon has it, amongst others.) It can be thinned with water and, when dry (overnight), the excess is easily removed with water without damaging delicate detail around it. It does have a tendency to harden in the tube over time, but it can be easily softened again by placing the tube in a cup of hot water. I urge you to try it. You will be choosing "...wisely!" Nick Filippone

Sounds like the answer to my crying an' sobbing and teeth gnashing as I fill my seams. Thanks for the tip.

Sounds good Nick. I have been using Vinyl Spackling Compound for some time. It can be thinned and cleaned up with water but I feel that it is too soft and the texture a little course. How does your putty compare?

I've got some and have used it a bit, but didn't find it to be "all that" the first time around.

However, as Nick mentioned, the first bit i squeezed out was a bit hard and that dampened (pun intended) my enthusiasm. I did like the fact that you could smear it in and on and then simply wipe away the excess with a damp paper towel. I haven't tried to see how easily the excess wipes off after complete curing....that will prove interesting. I'm also wondering how hard it will set and how well it will take scribing. If that works out well, it will become the putty of choice for most regular seam filling!

GIL :smiley16:

I do not think it could be scribed. But this is never a problem for me be cause I use a technical pencil for panel lines and simply draw in where the engraving is lost. I have left the excess in place for days and even weeks. It comes right off. To soften it in the tube, I take the cap off, put the tube in a cup of tap water and place in microwave on high power for 15 seconds. (Your results may vary.) I over cooked it the first time and it came out almost liquid. In a few minutes, however, it begins to firm up. While it has to have some limitations, I have yet to find a down side. The texture, in my opinion is smooth, not coarse. Nick Filippone

• Like 1

It isn't really scribe-able. It also will re-soften under water, so no wet sanding. Then again, if you smooth it out when you apply it, you shouldn't need to sand. I like the stuff, it is yet another tool in the toolbox...

Ralph

• Like 1

Sounds a lot like Vallejo's Plastic Putty. Once I got used to it (for the above reasons) I love it!!

Plus the long needle like tip gets the putty in the seam-line and almost no where else. The stuff dries pretty fast so you need to keep the tip clear as you proceed.

411877853.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried Perfect Plastic Putty and can concur with Nick - it works and cleans up very well. Wing roots are an obvious strong candidate for its use. The reason I got it was a recommendation on Track Link for its use as Zimmerit. I see it as Ralph says, "another tool in the toolbox." I'm very partial to NitroStan glazing putty but the Mr. Surfacers will clean up/smooth out with denatured alcohol to my satisfaction. I've not yet embraced acrylic paints and fillers yet as my spray booth works very well for removing fumes. Still, PPP has made strides in winning me over.

• Like 1

I have tried PPP and it does amazing stuff, not everything, but darn good at what it can do. Not having to crush the dried residual off the Milliput to try to get enough to mix-eventually- is a very

good thing. ( and yes, it is the new box dirtkick_zpsba8a6a53.gif)

The trick of keeping the syringe tip in a bit of water has allowed me to keep the PPP on my bench ready at a moments notice-I gets lot of those moments, 'cause I make OOPs037de546.gif

Anyhow used with in its few forgivable, limitations this is a good solid product to have available.

Steve, Thanks for the tip on keeping the tip in water. Huh?! I just made a stupid pun, which Shakespeare said was the lowest form of humor. Nick Filippone

Ah, Yes, to pun or not to pun that is the question.

Oh and your welcome bow_zps2aadf2a8.gif

christmas%20renne_zpso3juk7qw.gifto all