1/48 Matchbox SH-2F Seasprite

ghodges

I built this in case it might be needed for our club display at the Jax Beach Museum honoring Mayport. It's the old Matchbox 1/48 kit, and as such, leaves a bit to be desired due to it's age. The interior detailing is sparse, so I added some tape belts, some decals on the consoles, and closed the doors. The fit of the windows is problematic (the norm for most helo models), and I did what I could but still got substandard (for contest) results. The landing gear and the bays are very simplified, but what's worse is that the fit of the short tire legs is not conducive to getting the right angle off of the main gear, and the instructions don't help much except to show which parts go where. I actually had to break them off and reset them after getting the gear on the model because the tires were so badly cocked. All that said, it does look like a Seasprite when done!
002_10.jpg

007_4.jpg

004_6.jpg

008_7.jpg
I used Tamiya Dark IJN Gray (spray can) for the Engine gray and glossed it with Testors spray can One Coat Lacquer: "Wet Look Clear"; which worked very well! I used the kit decals and was pleasantly surprised at how thin they were and how easily they went on, though I did take the time to remove all of the milky decal glue around and under them before applying (that's the stuff that turns yellow and brownish over time!). The only other obvious problem is that the Matchbox white lettering isn't quite opaque enough and as such looks off white on the model over the dark gray, and it's easy to see the difference when compared to the gear and wheel wells. The horizontal stabs were painted, by the way.

001_6.jpg

003_9.jpg

This is the first helo I've built since I was a teenager, and overall the experience left me feeling "meh"....I'm glad it's done, and that I have a Seasprite on the shelf. However, it has way too many problems to compete with, so it'll go to meetings and sit on my shelf! The one up side is that I do feel more comfortable about tackling the other helo models I have in the stash!

I believe that Kittyhawk has a new 1/48 Seasprite kit available, and I recommend building that one instead of this old Matchbox kit if you have the option! Questions, critiques, and comments welcome as always!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

You may not consider it "contest worthy", but any modeler would be proud to have that on his shelf. And from a Matchbox kit at that!

I think you did a remarkable job turning that into a silk purse worthy of display, especially given the issues inherent in that kit. It not only looks like a Seasprite, it looks like an incredibly well built Seasprite! Way to go Gil!