1/16 31 FORD DIRT MODIFIED----- FINISHED----- 7-10-16

GaryDavis

I was pondering using copper wire also....but opted for the solder. Solder is easier to take small bends out. These will be painted so the KOOL metal look will be gone. That's short track'in...LOL

Here's an update on the engine....I did get the collectors on the headers. They are ready for paint at this point.....
headers4collectors001-vi.jpg

The valve cover breathers were fabbed from Plastic rod and the bottoms and tops are punched sheet plastic...
Valvecovers002-vi.jpg

Valvecovers003-vi.jpg

The front pulley assy. and Dist. from a 65 stang is being used for this engine. The Alt/Gen was cut off and a small belt fabbed. This car will not run with a fan. The water pump was cleaned up...bushing added(plastic rod) and drilled out for the pulley Assembly.
Valvecovers004-vi.jpg

Valvecovers005-vi.jpg

Valvecovers006-vi.jpg

This engine is ready for primer. Then the paint will be shot.
Valvecovers012-vi.jpg

Valvecovers011-vi.jpg

As always...thanks to ALL who stop in to have a look and comment on the progress....more to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update...The radiator was sourced from a 65 Mustang parts kit. I didn't like the gaping hole on the back side so I trimmed down another radiator and slid it into that whole. Much better...
Radit_001-th.jpg

Radit_004-th.jpg

The Distributor was also sanded and cut to give it a cap. Wires will be added with boots. The wire in this pic was a test shot...

dist_001-th.jpg

Distrib-th.jpg
On the chassis...

Radit_003-th.jpg

The front Grill was also worked on. It is in mock up and needs to be dropped down at least another inch..maybe 1 1/2 (scale). The hood will either be Vacuum formed (over a buck) which will give longer sides or...I can fab one from sheet and hand bend it to fit on the top only..Like the paper mock up is in the pic. The collectors on the headers were also put on....

Bodyshots002-th.jpg

Bodyshots006-th.jpg

At this angle...you can see what I mean about dropping the grill down more....
Bodyshots001-th.jpg

Thanks for looking in and commenting folks....

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update for this guy....I did take a few scale inches out of the Grill surround. It sets higher and just in line with the front bars.

The grill area....

chassisstuff001-vi.jpg

chassisstuff003-vi.jpg

The front push bars,cowcatcher,chrome horn or what ever it's called in your area :-D ...was fabbed and is in mockup...It's pinned so it can be removed for painting and then re-attached afterwords....

chassisstuff008-vi.jpg

chassisstuff004-vi.jpg

The rear bars were also fabbed and are in mockup the same way(pinned)...

chassisstuff010-vi.jpg

chassisstuff013-vi.jpg

With that work completed...I can NOW concentrate on the interior floor and bar work...Thanks for stop'in by and look'in around...

• 2 weeks later...

Gary - you're an engineering genius. This kind of work is taxing even at 1:1 scale... I'm gonna be watching your progress.

As Johnny Carson used to say: "That's some great good stuff there!"

Thank you Bob...sure miss Johnny

Here's a few looks at the interior floor and tranny tunnel. I took the seat out of the 34 Rod kit and it needs Modified. Now I need to get the firewall and the back wall built...then the bars will go in. Thanks for stop'in by and look'in....

floorsheetmetal002-vi.jpg

floorsheetmetal003-vi.jpg

floorsheetmetal008-vi.jpg

The front wheels are poseable now...thru the rack that was built. It won't have a working steering wheel though. I thought about it but....I really didn't want to get into the gearing thing on this build.

Here's a small update to show that I did build something today...LOL..

I took the seat from the 34 Rod kit and made it into a Racing seat. The seat is in mockup as I just finished with all the fab work. Now...it's sanding to shape time. Here's a few pics for a look...

Newseat001-vi.jpg

Newseat004-vi.jpg

Newseat006-vi.jpg

Thanks for look'in in.....

Here's a little update...I changed the bolsters on the bottom of the seat...I like this a lot better. They need filled and sanded to shape as they are in their basic form right now....

Newseat2002-vi.jpg

Newseat2003-vi.jpg

Here it is sanded to shape....
Newseat3002-vi.jpg

Newseat3001-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Here's a little progress update....The interior sheet work is finished and Front and Back Hoops are in. The front hoop stress cracked when I put the top bars in with MEK, which of course made them weak. That also means that I didn't heat the rod enough to keep it solid. But...it's an easy fix and I'll do that tomorrow when I put the side and back cross bars in. This whole setup is pinned and will be removable to paint...thanks for stop'in in folks...

Firstbars004-vi.jpg

Firstbars003-vi.jpg

Firstbars002-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment joe.....

Here's an update....95% of the bar work is complete. The front shock mounts need to be fabbed along with the racing harness mounting points. The Dash also needs to be fabbed along with all the gauges. This chassis is just about ready for primer/paint. Here are a few pics of the bar work....

barwork2006-vi.jpg

barwork2002-vi.jpg

barwork2007-vi.jpg

barwork2003-vi.jpg

Thanks again Joe...it's starting to look like a Dirt car...

Here's an update....The dash and Gauges have been fabbed. Still need to do the three toggle switches. The front shock mounts have also been fabbed and are in the basic shapes in the pics. I will let them set for a day or so and then file them to shape. The seat is also in it's position along with the shifter. Here are a few pics...Thanks for looking in...

F_shocks005-vi.jpg

F_shocks001-vi.jpg

Dash004-vi.jpg

Dash003-vi.jpg

Thanks again Joe...it's starting to look like a Dirt car...

Yes sir it is!! And lookin' good at that!!!

Thanks for the comps. I've gotten more finished on this puppy but need to shoot pics. The battery box needs to be done along with the Fire Extinguisher. As soon as i get them finished...I'll post them.....

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on some of the small stuff that takes time to figure out and build. A battery Box was fabbed along with padding and rib bolsters on the seat. The seat will be covered in a black fabric so it won't be so shinny. A fire extinguisher was sourced from a parts box but had to be modified to a hand held type. The brake master cylinder was also sourced from the 34 ford kit and the fluid reservoir had to be fabbed...here are a few pics to look at...thanks for looking in folks....

The battery box...
Interiorstuff011-vi.jpg

New seat padding...
Interiorstuff001-vi.jpg

The master cylinder..
Interiorstuff005-vi.jpg

On the firewall..
Interiorstuff006-vi.jpg

Fire extinguisher....
Interiorstuff2003-vi.jpg

Interiorstuff009-vi.jpg

Great fabrication work all the way through so far on this build Gary! That seat and master cylinder reservoir look killer!

Thanks Mark, for the compliment. This build is just about ready for primer. The side nerf bars need to be built and then it's off to the paint shop....

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update ...The fab work on this bad boy is complete. The cowl screen along with the windshield screen have been built. The Air cleaner...side nerf bars and the hood with the mud guard are also complete.The priming has all ready began but...everything can be primed now. Then it's color. Here are a few pics to look at...Thanks for looking in folks....

The air cleaner and side bars...
Sidenerfs003-vi.jpg

Sidenerfs001-vi.jpg

The hood with shield and pins...
newhood003-vi.jpg

newhood005-vi.jpg

newhood001-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

• 2 weeks later...

Gary, I just came across your excellent build. I'm an aircraft guy myself, but many of your techniques will work great for any scratch building needs. Thanks for your photos and great explanations of your work! I can't wait to see the rest.

Mike

I'll second that motion right there on the more progress. You're killin' this one Gary!! Really neat stuff man.