1/16 31 FORD DIRT MODIFIED----- FINISHED----- 7-10-16

GaryDavis

I've been wanting to do this build for sometime. I've had the body for a few yrs and I think it's time to tackle this puppy. I've done some body work and built a chassis jig for the build. I was pondering on building the whole chassis from front to rear but...I had a 34 rod chassis and it pretty much fit in the right places...so...all I needed to do was Z the rear portion to get a little height for the fuel cell and suspension(coil over shocks) mounting points. Here's a look at what I've got to this point....Thanks for looking in...
The chassis......
CHASSIS001-vi.jpg

CHASSIS111003-vi.jpg

The start of the fuel cell....
CHASSIS010-vi.jpg

CHASSIS011-vi.jpg

CHASSIS012-vi.jpg

The body mocked up....

CHASSIS004-vi.jpg

CHASSIS005-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Gary - great to se you posting another project! Working in 1/16 scale can feel very weird if you mostly do only 1/25-1/24th. In my mind all the parts seem very toy like because of the size and I want to try and keep improving them. Don't get me started on a few of the 1/8th scale models I have done [ working on my 3rd Pocher kit now], you can drive yourself crazy trying to fix every little item. I have gotten to the point that I just say enough is enough. Dan

Here are a few update pics to show the fender wheels and the windows opened up. The Wheels and tires and the motor are in mock for measurements.

Bodypics005-vi.jpg

The wheels and tires are also mastered and made here in the shop..

Bodypics007-vi.jpg

Bodypics008-vi.jpg

Bodypics003-vi.jpg

Bodypics004-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Hey Joe...I made them here in the shop. Made the masters and poured them in RTV rubber. The wheels are in Tan resin and the tires are made with a urethene black reasin.

Here's a small update...The fuel cell was finished today. The shocks are in mock up for measurements. I'll probably build all four shocks as it's easier to attach them if they are able to move in and out. here's a look at what's done...

fuelcell002-vi.jpg

fuelcell006-vi.jpg

fuelcell005-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a small update... I removed the upper "A" arms and prepared the new "A" arms(from a Petty kit) to fit this chassis.The shocks that I decided to use are also from the Petty kit. The pics show the shocks before and after. The coil springs were made by wrapping wire around the correct size rod. This is all in mockup and will be adjusted as I go.
The "A" arms before and after being removed...
frontsuspension001-vi.jpg

frontsuspension006-vi.jpg

frontsuspension005-vi.jpg

front shocks with coil springs....
frontsuspension004-vi.jpg

frontsuspension008-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for the delayed response here Gary. Man you're really tearin' this one up! Those modifications look great!!!!

Sorry for the delayed response here Gary. Man you're really tearin' this one up! Those modifications look great!!!!

Hey Joe...that's waaay OK...You're a STANG guy and that gets ALL the LEEWAY there is!!! LOL...Thank you for the compliment....

Well...here's another Chassis update. The front "A" arms on. Also the back bar and drive line hoop were built and installed. Then the cross bars were then fabbed and added. Now with that finished...I can set the Q.C. in place and build the 4 link suspension. The Back coil over shocks will be added(built) after that is complete. Here's a few pics of the progress.....

The permanent "A" arms..

Chassisbars008-vi.jpg

Back bar and drive line hoop...

Chassisbars006-vi.jpg

Chassisbars003-vi.jpg

The X bars built and added...

Chassisbars002-vi.jpg

Chassisbars009-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking in on this build folks.....

Got a little more done on the 4 bar rear suspension. The Axle and chassis brackets were drawn out on paper and then transferred to plastic and cut out. The chassis brackets aren't cut out yet. These are just in mock up to see how tight the bracket fit was on the axle. So far they look like they're going to work..

4bar004-vi.jpg

4bar002-vi.jpg

Well...The 4 bar suspension is finished being fabbed and in mock up.The bolts aren't in as this is only temporary. After it's all painted...they well be added...Thanks for looking in folks...

4bar2005-vi.jpg

4bar2003-vi.jpg

4bar2002-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a little building done during the Holidays. The coilovers(front and rear) were finished.The rear mounting bars for the coilovers were fabbed and they are mocked up in these pics. The white shocks are the front and blue are rears. As soon as the motor is set in it's permanent location( hopefully today) then I can get the correct length for the drive line. Then the interior sheet metal and bar work can begin...

The fabbed coil overs....
4bar2shocks001-vi.jpg

Rears mocked up....
4bar2shocks005-vi.jpg

4bar2shocks002-vi.jpg

Thanks for the compliments BOB and JOE....

I did get the engine in it's permanent location and that enable me to set the correct length for the drive line.....
Rack001-vi.jpg

I also finished the shocks up(built the inner body on all four) and they are ready for paint....
Rack008-vi.jpg

I also wanted to make the front wheels pose-able. So I decided to fab a Rack& Pinion steering system out of Aluminum and Stainless tubing. Rod ends are from RB Motion. I used the 34 ford system as a guide and over all lengths...here are a few shots of that progress....
Rack009-vi.jpg

Rack013-vi.jpg

I used .020 wire to make the ribs and also used Teflon Tape to make it look like the rubber covers them. I then painted them flat black..
Rack016-vi.jpg

Rack018-vi.jpg

Rack2001-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get the bracket for the rack onto the chassis. The system is mocked up in these pics.The bolts are threaded and will have the nuts on them at final assemble....
Chassis1003-vi.jpg

Chassis1005-vi.jpg

The original idea for headers was the use of solder, but.....I found a set in a parts Petty kit I thought I might try first....After extending each tube and mocking it up...I really didn't like how they looked....Soooo...I went back to the original idea of using solder. This is solid solder so I don't have to seal the ends off to keep Rosin from leaking out yrs down the road. The Curved out tube was a Plastic coat hanger turned down and then bent to shape (with heat applied) and then the ends drilled out. The collectors will be made with heat shrink tubing.
THE FIRST SET...

headers001-vi.jpg

THE SOLDER SET.....

headers005-vi.jpg

headers004-vi.jpg

A jig will be made to bend the headers into the shapes that are needed to clear the body and be mounted parallel(as much as possible...) to the deck.....

A little update here... I made the bending jig for the headers out of a 2x2x6 and a 5/16 dowel. It worked real well for making that final bend. Here are a few pics of the progress...

The bending jig...
headers2004-vi.jpg

Headers after the first bend(a 1/4" rod was used for this)...
headers2002-vi.jpg

In the jig and after the second bend....
headers2006-vi.jpg

headers2003-vi.jpg

headers2009-vi.jpg

Mocked up on Engine....
headers3004-vi.jpg

headers3003-vi.jpg

headers3001-vi.jpg

The good thing about using solder is that small adjustments can be made pretty easy. I still need to drill out the heads where each tube hits as that will give me more "bite" when they are glued.

I'm a member of solder exhaust as well there Gary. It looks like real exhaust pipe while being pliable enough to bend and make corrections to. Your progress looks great bud.