Any good T-34 book out there?

TimDarrah

I bought the ROP o.s. Models decal sheet from Hannants for T-34-76 Model 1941 part 4 as there are two very cool schemes. I looked through my personal library but only have 1 semi-OK book on the T-34 "T-34 Medium Tank 1939-1943" by Mikhail Baryatinskiy, Ian Allan Publishing.

Anyone know of a better book on the T-34?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, "T-34: Mythical Weapon" by Robert Michulec is seen as the "T-34 Bible". However, good luck finding it at a reasonable price as it's out of production and crazy expensive. Here's a link to one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/T-34-Mythical-Weapon-Robert-Michulec/dp/0978109104 .

Patrick,

Thanks. I was able to get my wife to give me the new Kursk book for Christmas (from what she said, that's the only thing I'm getting) so I'm sure if I asked her if I could get this, well...

it also depends on what you want the book for; just to read up on the historical aspect and design history of the tank, or one to use to assist you in researching and building your model kit or super detailing it.

Careful with T-34's. The "Mythical Weapon" book, while many look at it like the Hunnicutt for T-34's, I've seen lots of folks say there is a lot of poor information in the book as well. As far as modeling references, I don't know that there is one good reference. The problem is largely that there is more variation in T-34's than there is in Sherman's. All the different factories put their own twist on what they built, things changed from year to year, and who knows what spare parts might have ended up on a tank in the field. About the best you can do is find the best pictures you can of the tank you want to build, and then try to identify the factory that built it, and what year it was built. That should get you into the ball park as to knowing what generalities might be in play, and the photos can get you the specifics, at leat those that are visible.

And for what it's worth, when I was looking into details for a T-34 build, there were several guys who hang out on Missing-Lynx that were very helpful.

Good luck

Mike

Good points all.

Speaking of asking others...Tim, have you hit up Neil Stokes? He's a fellow AMPS guy and very knowledgeable on Soviet equipment.

Tim,

Agree with all of Mike's comments above about the T-34 and his comment about the "Mythical Weapon". There are a lot of variations in the tank and I've seen several of the experts stumped when a new photo gets posted of some rare combination or mix and match rebuild.

There is a very active T-34 discussion group on FaceBook. They were helpful when I worked on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your input. I really liked that T-34/85 book you referenced, might have to pick that up sometime.

Tim