hasegawa f-16c and blackbox cockpit

clutch

Has anybody been successful in cutting the resin HUD off the sprue, (believe it's still called a sprue, even though it's resin), so that it could be mounted on the supplied glare shield?

Two were included in the Blackbox kit and both shattered at the mere thought of being trimmed. Blackbox says in the instructions that the part is"delicate"...........understatement in my estimation.

If anyone has been successful I would love to know how you did it besides winning my respect for a skill level that I will never reach.

clutch

Did you use cutters, or try to saw it off? Also, how did you hold it while doing this?

I've actually had better luck with a motorized cut-off wheel on delicate stuff, as you can hold it still and let the tool do the work with less overall motion and pressure on the delicate part.

What you cannot use is the traditional methods of slicing it off with a knife blade or nippers, and even hand sawing the pour block off is riskier. Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

The problem with the cut off wheel is the proximity to the fingers. Even to use some sort of clamp was almost an invitation to cracking the part. I think that I need to "re think" after market detail parts. Photo-etched is one thing, resin......? I don't know. Thanks for getting back to me.

clutch

Superglue the pour stub to something you can hold at a comfortable distance from your fingers and control. Ste the cut off wheel on the slowest speed, use magnification so you can see what you're doing, and have at it (slowly)! I know, it's not easy until you've done it a few times....... :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

Never thought about the superglue idea. File it away for future ref. Mute point now for this model as I have no desire to purchase another kit.

Thanks for the response

clutch