Kit of Gurney-Weslake F1 car?

Schmitz

I was passing through Indianapolis last weekend and stopped in the hall-of-fame at the speedway. They have a special display of Gurney's AAR cars. First time I had seen this F1 car, and it is gorgeous.

Had anyone ever kitted this? Seems like a natural subject for Ebbro...

Edited by Schmitz
  • Like 1

I was passing through Indianapolis last weekend and stopped in the hall-of-fame at the speedway. They have a special display of Gurney's AAR cars. First time I had seen this F1 car, and it is gorgeous.

Hey Don...if that is the SPA car....Replicars has it in 1/18 scale.....Diecast and Already assembled(of course). Oval Track Legends(Gary Doucette) makes a Reasin kit of the 66 Indycar Eagle(curb side) in 1/25 scale. If a person wanted to make it into the F-1 car...they would have to put a V-12 in it. Which can be done. Gary is a great guy to work with and his casting is pretty good. I do have this kit but haven't got to it as of yet. He sells only on EBAY. Here's the Address to his ebay store. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-1966-indy-500-Gurney-Eagle-resin-metal-kit-/201369861810?hash=item2ee2943eb2:g:-5cAAOSwBahVaGKw

Hope this helps you a little....

Edited by GaryDavis

Model Factory Hiro does both 1:20 and 1:43 scale 1967 Spa cars. Stunning models but they are pricy at about $230 for the 1:20, but if you have to have one, you have to have one. I had to have one. Also had to have a Ferrari 312 and a shark nose while they were still making them. Macs models still lists them on their web sitehttp://www.macsmodeling.com/mysite/MFH%20Models.htm , but you might want to call him to make sure before you place and order.

It might be worth looking at SMTS (Scale Model Technical Services) website in the UK. They have quite a large range of kits in 1/43rd scale.

Thanks guys. I googled a bit and found some of the high-end diecasts and professionally built models (some with 4-digit price tags!). The Model Factory Hiro kit is tempting as 1/20 always seemed like a good scale for F1 kits, but I'm hitting a real psychological barrier at paying (a lot) more than $100 for a kit - I think I'll hold out hopes that Ebbro or Tamiya do an injection kit some day...

Well, the Tamiya RB6 (?) kit was almost $80, so..... the MFH (and Studio 27) kits are expensive, but they are usually very good. Given the limited run they make, if you really want that kit, you probably should not wait...

E

Thanks guys. I googled a bit and found some of the high-end diecasts and professionally built models (some with 4-digit price tags!). The Model Factory Hiro kit is tempting as 1/20 always seemed like a good scale for F1 kits, but I'm hitting a real psychological barrier at paying (a lot) more than $100 for a kit - I think I'll hold out hopes that Ebbro or Tamiya do an injection kit some day...

Well, the Tamiya RB6 (?) kit was almost $80, so..... the MFH (and Studio 27) kits are expensive, but they are usually very good. Given the limited run they make, if you really want that kit, you probably should not wait...

E

Thanks guys. I googled a bit and found some of the high-end diecasts and professionally built models (some with 4-digit price tags!). The Model Factory Hiro kit is tempting as 1/20 always seemed like a good scale for F1 kits, but I'm hitting a real psychological barrier at paying (a lot) more than $100 for a kit - I think I'll hold out hopes that Ebbro or Tamiya do an injection kit somfor F1 kits, but I'm hitting a real psychological barrier at paying (a lot) more than $100 for a kit - I think I'll hold out hopes that Ebbro or Tamiya do an injection kit some day...

I have to agree with Eric. Yes, MFH is expensive but they make a very high quality kit and go together well. They do require skills in handling multimedia kits, but that should not be an obstacle. It seems to me that 60's F1 is kind of becoming a niche market as those of us who remember it are aging. With few exceptions I am not sure Tamiya or Ebbro is inclined to tackle one of these but who knows. MFH can become hard to get ahold of with their limited production runs and frankly they don't get any cheaper over time, so like most models buying them while they are available can be an important thing.

With few exceptions I am not sure Tamiya or Ebbro is inclined to tackle one of these but who knows. MFH can become hard to get ahold of with their limited production runs and frankly they don't get any cheaper over time, so like most models buying them while they are available can be an important thing.

That's for sure Pete. I've learned that if a persons waits to long on a kit that they want....there's a good chance they're going to pay an ARM and a LEG for them later.... specially on EBAY.

• 1 month later...

Yea, 1:12 scale Eagle coming from MFH in January. Oh, I am going to be in so much trouble with this one! Never had a need for any of the MFH big scale kits until now!

• 1 month later...

Hey Don...if that is the SPA car....Replicars has it in 1/18 scale.....Diecast and Already assembled(of course). Oval Track Legends(Gary Doucette) makes a Reasin kit of the 66 Indycar Eagle(curb side) in 1/25 scale. If a person wanted to make it into the F-1 car...they would have to put a V-12 in it. Which can be done. Gary is a great guy to work with and his casting is pretty good. I do have this kit but haven't got to it as of yet. He sells only on EBAY. Here's the Address to his ebay store. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-1966-indy-500-Gurney-Eagle-resin-metal-kit-/201369861810?hash=item2ee2943eb2:g:-5cAAOSwBahVaGKw

Hope this helps you a little....

You'll need to do more than add the V-12. The Indy car had offset suspension for the banking.

• 6 months later...

All-

Here's a 1/24 Eagle-Weslake on the table at Columbia this weekend. Scratch built by Andy Sapiro from south Florida. Pictures do not do this model justice.

-Rick

post-2724-0-17419300-1470449103_thumb.jpg

There's one for Tamiya to do in 1/12! It would be great if Tamiya did some classics in 1/12.

Matra MS80

Tyrrell 005

Ford Gt-40 P1075

Porsche 917K

Ferrari 512M Penske

McLaren M8D

The Above mentioned Gurney Westlake Eagle....

Could be a long list!

• 3 weeks later...

A 1/43 scale Weslake Eagle F1 I did 2 years ago. Built from an SMTS kit..

13_zpsswnfsdgv.jpg

14_zpsyoeg2lar.jpg