Newsletter Alignment

rossjr

Let me start by saying I love the newsletter. The content and format are wonderful and I enjoy reading it very much. That is not to say that there isn't anything I would look to change or improve upon. My biggest issue is that I get my September/October issue on the 20th of October, Coupled with that is our listing of events that show events that are passed and don't show far enough into the future.

I can live with calling it September/October issue and then not getting it until the end of the later month, but what I'd really like to see changed is the listing of events, If I were looking for an event to attend later in October I have to wait until late in October to find out about them. In the previous and most issues, you get a list of past events, but with in the listed months for that issue and then whatever there is space for. So in the issue before you had listings of October events until mid-October. I would suggest that we try to get in tune with when the issues are published or delivered so that they contain timely information for the readers. So in this example if you are publishing an issue called Sept/Oct but wont get to your readers until mid Oct, maybe it would not be as valuable to list the Sept shows and it might be more beneficial to list deeper into Nov and Dec...

Thanks and keep up the good work!

John Ross

• Like 1

Don't forget you can check all upcoming events on the USA main page. It lists them all including next years events.

Even better, if you go to http://calendar.ipmsusa3.organd click on the iCal logo at the bottom left of the calendar, you can subscribe to the Calendar feed which will automatically update your computer/phone/etc calendar program...

calendar.png

There is also the Forum Calendar at: http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/calendar/12-events-calendar

Don't forget you can check all upcoming events on the USA main page. It lists them all including next years events.

John: I'm not quite following your complaint.

The July/August issue (with the MiG 21 on the front) listed shows in August, September, up through the end of October. The recent September/October issue (with the P-47 on the cover) lists shows from October through January of '16, plus one show in February. The July/August issue covered a shorter time span for shows, but then there are a LOT more shows being run then (and thus listed) as compared to the late fall time frame (reflected by the listing covering more months into next year).

You'd had info on shows in October in your hands by mid August, giving at least a couple weeks notice for the September shows and a month or more for the October shows. The recent issue does the same thing for shows in November and later, while continuing to list the previously printed issue for the October shows (albeit a few of those have happened before it arrived in your mailbox).

The lead printing time as well as the 2pg limit (editor's choice) for the listings in the Journal will always mean that some shows are past and others in the distant future won't be listed until the next issue is done. But, I don't see where there was a show that didn't get listed in a timely manner. Was there a specific show that got missed in the earlier one and listed too late in the recent issue? If that's not the case, and your complaint is more of a general one, I don't see what the Journal can do differently.

The bottom line, as pointed out above, is not to use the Journal for your show scheduling plans, but to use the on-line references listed above. They will always be more up to date and a better source for show details too.

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

John: I'm not quite following your complaint.

The July/August issue (with the MiG 21 on the front) listed shows in August, September, up through the end of October. The recent September/October issue (with the P-47 on the cover) lists shows from October through January of '16, plus one show in February. The July/August issue covered a shorter time span for shows, but then there are a LOT more shows being run then (and thus listed) as compared to the late fall time frame (reflected by the listing covering more months into next year).

You'd had info on shows in October in your hands by mid August, giving at least a couple weeks notice for the September shows and a month or more for the October shows. The recent issue does the same thing for shows in November and later, while continuing to list the previously printed issue for the October shows (albeit a few of those have happened before it arrived in your mailbox).

The lead printing time as well as the 2pg limit (editor's choice) for the listings in the Journal will always mean that some shows are past and others in the distant future won't be listed until the next issue is done. But, I don't see where there was a show that didn't get listed in a timely manner. Was there a specific show that got missed in the earlier one and listed too late in the recent issue? If that's not the case, and your complaint is more of a general one, I don't see what the Journal can do differently.

The bottom line, as pointed out above, is not to use the Journal for your show scheduling plans, but to use the on-line references listed above. They will always be more up to date and a better source for show details too.

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

Thanks for chiming back. This issue is actually fine, but the July/August only listed until Mid October. I think the issue lies not in where it's stopped by why. We have fewer shows in the winter so the current issue can take you into '16, but during the summer months they have more and we seem to be limited by real estate in the magazine. This only gets two pages and some times I think it needs 2 and half or three. Based on how you publish the journal, I almost think you need to be publishing for the next two months so Sept/Oct should have Nov/Dec since the journal isn't published until Oct. and not delivered until late Oct.

Yes I agree you can get all this information on line, if you are on line. A number of my club members don't have internet access, don't want it and won't learn it, so this is how they learn about things.

As an event organizer, it's extremely frustrating to not have your listing published until just days before the event. Our event NordicCon, which was on 10/24 did not show up in your listings until your Sept/Oct issue, which arrived on my door step on 10/15. We did place a quarter page ad in Jul/Aug issue so if someone happen to see that we'd be covered but if you just look at the listings it should be more inclusive and reflect when the issue is publish not just how much fits on a page.

Edited by rossjr

The problem with using the Journal as a timely source of information is getting the events submitted before the deadline for a publication which arrives every other month. It is never going to be complete, correct, or timely. I know since I see many emails requesting changes to the events and I assume there are even more since emails are supposed to be sent to the DLC.

Perhaps it might be more useful for someone who does use the internet to print out a few copies of this page >> http://calendar.ipmsusa3.org/all-events

E