Hairspray chipping or no hairspray chipping that is the qeustion

Zglossip

Hey guys i had a qeustion for all you modelers and here i go i am working on a model and i was contemplating doing hairspray chipping but i started reading shepherd paine how to build dioramas and he prefer to paint the chipping one . So my quistion is is it even worth it to take the time to do hairspray chipping and will a big difference even be noticable compared to painting on and drybrushing chiping like shepherd paine recommends?

Z,

IMHO you can't get the effect of chipping the Shep Paine way that hairspray allows. If you are going to do just simple small chips and scratches, stick to his way. If you are going to do bold large area chipping (say Lebanese Militia T-55 or my Egyptian M4A4/A2 Fl10) you need to attempt the hair spray.

http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/topic/14801-egyptian-m4a4a2-fl-10/&do=findComment&comment=84706

Z,

What Mark said is correct. The hairspray method allows you to do a large area and really bring out the worn/chipped paint look. Thre are several methods to get the small chip effect. The Shep Paine way which is simply taking a small paint brush and dotting and area, the salt method or the hair spray method.

I go with this rule, If it is a small area go with the hand/brush method. If it is a larger area or you want to show worm paint ( like white wash coming off) go with the hairspray method.

Chris G.

Z: there may be a compromise method here.....

I find the hair spray method to be very involved with too many steps for my liking. On the other hand, applying 1000 small individual chips is both tedious and tough, especially when trying for a "random" pattern while yet being thorough.

Have you tried using a piece of sponge to chip with? It's sort of a cross between dry-brushing and individual paint chipping. Use a common kitchen sponge, and tear off various size chunks of it. You can use small pieces gripped with tweezers, or a piece that's large enough to hold by hand with an edge that's the size you want to use.

Dip a small edge or side of the sponge into your "chip" paint (gray, aluminum, silver, primer color, whatever). Now dab it onto a paper towel, removing most of the wet paint (like you would wipe a brush dry for dry-brushing), BUT dab the sponge hard and deep enough to be sure to get any paint out that soaked INTO the sponge! You want it to be slightly wet on the surface, and not wet enough to leak paint from the inside to the surface of the sponge.

Now lightly dab the sponge onto the surfaces you want to chip. The irregular surface of the sponge (and the coarser the better!) will leave MANY small chips over that area, allowing you to cover a larger area faster in an irregular pattern. You have less control than applying chips one at a time, but still retain a degree of control by choosing the size of the sponge, how wet it still is, and how hard you dab it on the surfaces.

You can easily try this on a plain piece of plastic or an older model to get the feel for it and see if it might be the way to get a larger chipping job done quickly! Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Gil,

Great idea though I mentally (yes, I am challenged) filed that under the brush technique when I was typing my reply. Great option that you offered.

:Smile_sceptic:

Thanks for the tips guys I will deffinettly take these into consideration . Another thing is do you do chipping before or after the main weathering process.

Thanks for the tips guys I will deffinettly take these into consideration . Another thing is do you do chipping before or after the main weathering process.

Before so any washes etc will blend the model...

• Like 1